PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Where Is This?

Richard K.
17-Jan-2011, 10:16
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/JoshuaTreeShackA.jpg

Please tell me (us) if you know...:)

Ed Kelsey
17-Jan-2011, 11:14
Looks like somewhere in the Morongo Basin, maybe Wonder Valley. There are a lot of old homesteader cabins. The government gave people 5 acres all they had to do was erect a 10x10 building.

Eric Woodbury
17-Jan-2011, 11:28
Reminds me of area around Palmdale or Antelope Valley, California, but I only visit. Looks like Ed is a resident, so he's more qualified.

Are you looking for a place to rent?

Richard K.
17-Jan-2011, 13:16
Thanks for the interesting information, gentlemen. Ed, I'll be staying a couple of days in Twenty Nine Palms - any good restaurants there or in Joshua Tree? :D

Richard K.
17-Jan-2011, 13:17
Are you looking for a place to rent?

This one is a little too air-conditioned...and where's the darkroom?!?:eek:

bob carnie
17-Jan-2011, 14:15
Richard
that is called a light room

This one is a little too air-conditioned...and where's the darkroom?!?:eek:

Robert Skeoch
24-Jan-2011, 09:16
That must be one of those north light studios I've read about.
-rob

Michael Gordon
24-Jan-2011, 09:28
If you like Mexican, give Edchada's in 29 a try. In Joshua Tree, Crossroads Cafe is great.

Richard K.
24-Jan-2011, 10:11
Thanks Michael...and Rob...and Bob...

BenjaminUK
27-Jan-2011, 00:35
Don't have any ideas where in the world it can be...

Jim Jones
27-Jan-2011, 08:59
Don't have any ideas where in the world it can be...

I worked in Northern Greenland for a while, and don't believe it's there.

ic-racer
27-Jan-2011, 16:23
"Drive" around here a little bit and you may find something just as good...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2011/Jashua.jpg

Don7x17
27-Jan-2011, 17:09
Richard
Joshua Trees aren't just in Joshua Tree NP --
If you drive the main desert roads, you'll find some nice stands mixed with broken down cabins/homes/shacks, many unoccupied -- try these roads.
Note that each of these areas has some sections of good Joshua trees but then there are the long sections of just Creosote bushes....
1) 62, but only east of 29 Palms.
2) 247, between Yucca Valley and Apple Valley
3) 138 from Phelan Rd to just east of Palmdale (and roads off this), but this area hasn't run down as much
4) 14 from North and west of Mojave (along 58, and 14)
5) around red Mountain-Johannesburg
6) The best stands of Joshua Trees I've ever seen are Walker Pass along 178. But this area has zero cabins or shacks. But last summer it had really interesting grass mixed in the hillsides on the south side of 178 where fire had burned and extinguished in some prior year - leaving long fingers of different colored grasses
I sure others can point you to other places with good Joshua trees mixed with shacks but I've not been there...
regards
Don

PS let us know if you find this one. I'm betting on the area east of 29 palms as there is a large flat (lakebed?) area in the background....

Richard K.
27-Jan-2011, 19:29
Richard
Joshua Trees aren't just in Joshua Tree NP --
If you drive the main desert roads, you'll find some nice stands mixed with broken down cabins/homes/shacks, many unoccupied -- try these roads.
Note that each of these areas has some sections of good Joshua trees but then there are the long sections of just Creosote bushes....
1) 62, but only east of 29 Palms.
2) 247, between Yucca Valley and Apple Valley
3) 138 from Phelan Rd to just east of Palmdale (and roads off this), but this area hasn't run down as much
4) 14 from North and west of Mojave (along 58, and 14)
5) around red Mountain-Johannesburg
6) The best stands of Joshua Trees I've ever seen are Walker Pass along 178. But this area has zero cabins or shacks. But last summer it had really interesting grass mixed in the hillsides on the south side of 178 where fire had burned and extinguished in some prior year - leaving long fingers of different colored grasses
I sure others can point you to other places with good Joshua trees mixed with shacks but I've not been there...
regards
Don

PS let us know if you find this one. I'm betting on the area east of 29 palms as there is a large flat (lakebed?) area in the background....

Thanks very much for this , Don! I'll let you know if I find THAT one... :)

I seem to recall seeing some nice stands NW of Kingman? I actually lived in Scottsdale for 4 months back in '87 when on sabbattical, so I did travel all through Arizona, Southern California, Utah, New Mexico...and then went to Australia for 4 months...

Richard K.
27-Jan-2011, 19:35
"Drive" around here a little bit and you may find something just as good...

Are we allowed to stop on the side of the road to photograph? :)

Don7x17
28-Jan-2011, 11:54
Thanks very much for this , Don! I'll let you know if I find THAT one... :)

I seem to recall seeing some nice stands NW of Kingman? I actually lived in Scottsdale for 4 months back in '87 when on sabbattical, so I did travel all through Arizona, Southern California, Utah, New Mexico...and then went to Australia for 4 months...

Yes - there are a few around Kingman but its grown up a lot since 87. When I was through there last summer, I was surprised at how much growth.
And down 93 from Kingman in Arizona.
Many more places in the Mojave to see them.
I lived in Gilbert 1987-1997.
Don

John Cooley
28-Jan-2011, 12:41
I second the recommendation for Enchadas in Joshua Tree. Get the enchiladas and a pitcher of midori margaritas. Make sure you bring a jacket -- forecast for the Park is for snow on Monday. As for the picture, I'm guessing somewhere off Hwy 395 in California between Adelanto and Kramer Junction.

lustrewand
28-Jan-2011, 13:47
If you find out, Richard, give me a shout; it would suit me fine...

brianam
28-Jan-2011, 14:03
Don's list of six joshua tree spots are all great. I also love:
7) Cima Dome, in Mojave Nat'l Preserve.
8) Lee Flat, up above Death Valley. Some of the tallest known trees are there. Not as "perfect" looking, but up to 30' and taller. (Note: if you camp there like I did, it's well over 5000' elevation and will be a LOT colder at night than in the valley. brrr)

Darin Boville
28-Jan-2011, 14:22
They say that part of the desert used to be the shore of a large, inland sea. You know what's funny? That tree was there then, too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51G691FYHYL._SS500_.jpg

It's scientifical.

--Darin