PDA

View Full Version : Wista 4X5

Tim Kimbler
2-Jan-1999, 23:22
I'm thinking about buying a used Wista at a local store. How dose this camer co mpaire to others?

mike rosenlof
4-Jan-1999, 00:28
There's a review of the Wista in the Nov/Dec 1998 issue of View Camera magazine. Compared to the super field cameras - Wisner, Canham, and their ilk, it's rather limited. 12 inch bellows especially. If you like long lenses, you won't be too happy. If your longest lens is a 210, and you don't want to do super close up photos with it, you might like it.

It's somewhat simpler than these same multi-featured cameras. A person whose opinions I respect, but don't always agree with, loves the Wista. He finds it more natural to use than nearly any other field camera around, and he's used a lot.

Greg Lawhon
4-Jan-1999, 01:37
See the January/February issue of Photo Techniques magazine. On page 42 is an article called the "25 Best Cameras" in the world. The Wista 45DXII is number 12. While it finished behind Wisner and Canham and other higher-end field 4x5s (all tied at number 5), the editors of this excellent magazine had high praise for the Wista. They say that it has a level of fit and finish that many other makers only aspire to (even those whose offerings are much more expensive). Even better, it's available at a near-budget price that makes it competitive with others that "can't hold a candle to its quality." They also claim it has all movements you would ever need for landscape use, noting however that its short bellows draw makes it difficult to use for macro work or with long lenses.

Mark Windom
13-Jan-1999, 00:26
I've been using the Wista SP for landscape work for the past 5 years and have been very happy with it. You can use Nikon's 300M and 360T lenses at infinity without needing added bellows draw. It is very well made, rugged, produces a bright image on the groundglass, and has all the movements you will need for landscape work.