PDA

View Full Version : Boss Screen

Chet Wright
3-Jan-1999, 13:46
Any info on the Boss Screen for 4 x 5? I live in southern NM where it can get fr om 10 deg to 110. I've read that the screens are temp sensitive. In the summer c ould one store the screen in an ice chest til ready to use? How much does it cos t? thanks Chet

Brian Ellis
8-Jan-1999, 21:29
Bosscreens are sold by Bromwell Marketing. The owner, Ted Bromwell, is a very nice guy and very helpful. You can get contact information from Bromwell's advertisements in "Shutterbug." I bought mine about three years ago and it cost around $150. It was the most expensive of the options I was considering but I thought it was well worth the price. Technically it isn't an enhancer in that it doesn't brighten the light but it is considerably better than a plain ground glass and is much easier to focus when using a loupe than is a fresnel lens. I live in Florida and used it during the summer, taking no precautions against excessive heat that I wouldn't take with any camera equipment, and had no problems. I certainly don't think you'd need to keep it in an ice chest unless you plan to drive to Death Valley in August and park for a few days with the camera in the car or something similar to that. If you normally take reasonable precautions against overheating film and equipment, I think those normal precautions should be sufficient for the Bosscreen.

andrea milano
12-Jan-1999, 04:15
Hallo everybody! Bosscreen is made by a Dutch company called "Stabilix"(I believe). They are a very small company and produce Bosscreens and other such things for overhead projection and so forth. I recently called them and they told me that they (surprise surprise) polish and re-coat lenses too!!!! This might be very helpful, but I'll tell the forum more when I have more information and experience about it. However I am very happy with their products and have been for the last 10 odd years. The company sells direct as well! Their telephone number is +31 (0)70 3970061. Very good value for money!

Matthew Cordery
15-Jun-1999, 18:23
Two words: Get one. I just field tested mine out in the Owens River valley and I'd have to give it an unabashed 10+. Probably one of the times I can every say I totally like something without reservation. It was up in the low 90's there and no problems. Of course, it's a dry heat and you aren't directly exposing the camera back to the light as long as you keep your hood on. The other bonus was that, in low light I was able to do all of my work without using my hood at all!!!