PDA

View Full Version : Tri-X Pan Professional Film development

tom thomas
16-Jan-2011, 13:08
I have a 23 Graflex Graphic Film Pack Adapter with a sixteen shot film pack loaded. There are 6 unexposed negs as paper tab labelled 10 is next. I assume it may be exposed so hoping 11 thru 16 are fine.

The tabs show that the film is Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional of undetermined age. I looked up Tri-X Pro and it's probably 320 ASA. Am I right? I'll probably try 1/100 at F8 or F11 depending on sun conditions outside. Sunny 16 may be option as well but with the old film, I imagine it will have slowed down a bit. Right?

I recently won a Graflex 23 Crown Graphic Pacemaker with Graflock back so I should be able to load this Graphic Film Pack with ease. I've about got the camera cleaned up so thought I'd give it a try with both this film pack and a 120 roll film back to check operation.

I'm going to shoot the remaining film but local pro shop wasn't keen on processing it due to the film size. I can buy a development tank with adapter for 35mm and 120 roll film. Could I use this tank to individually thread the 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 negatives in the roll? If I can, I'll use a dark bag and fumble through it.

Then I can take the development tank to the pro shop and ask them just to process it. Is this reasonable?

Developing the film myself would be great but I had lung cancer and am now missing part of my right lung. I'm very sensitive to chemical smells so handling the chemicals is not on my agenda. Plus it wouldn't be economical as I only have this one film pack to have processed.

Tom

Brian C. Miller
16-Jan-2011, 15:27
Test the camera with only the roll film. The roll film is new, and the pack isn't.

It has been a really long time since pack film was made. There may be images on it that can be developed. Don't add orthazite to control fog, as that will wipe any latent image.

As for getting the sheet film onto a spool, well, it could be done. I recommend that you try one sheet, develop it, adjust time, then try the next sheet. You might be able to get away with just dropping one sheet in the tank, and then agitate with five seconds of vigorous shaking.

For chemical sensitivity, there are low-fume chemicals from Clayton and Arista. I use Clayton stop bath and fixer, and it works great and has nearly no odor.

Pawlowski6132
17-Jan-2011, 10:03
I'm sure someone on this forum can develop your film for you. I am on the road right now and can do it if you can wait a week or two.

tom thomas
18-Jan-2011, 14:52
Thanx for the help. Brian, I'll follow your advice on trying the camera with a roll of current film first. I'm hoping the remaining negs on the 16-shot pack are still good. I'm also curious to see if the exposed negs are good too. I wonder what may be on them. The adapter with film came with a Graflex Minature I'd won sometime back. I didn't try the film on that camera as it has spring-back. Now I have 23 Crown Graphic with GrafloK back. I can check focus on the GG first then try it out.

I did find a volunteer to develop the film so thanx again to all. I wasnt' looking forward to the method I'd described in my email.

Tom

William McEwen
20-Jan-2011, 12:29
Let us know what happens, Tom.