PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend film cutter

Rayt
16-Jan-2011, 08:57
I would like to cut 8x10 film in half to 5x8. Can anyone please recommend a film cutter that can comfortably fit inside a regular Harrison tent? Thanks.

Jim Noel
16-Jan-2011, 10:08
What do you mean a "regular" Harrison tent?
High quality rolling cutters like a Dahle do the best job cutting film, IMO.

Daniel Stone
16-Jan-2011, 11:06
I'd recommend finding a totally dark, super clean room for cutting film down, a "regular" harrison tent won't fit even a small cutter easily IMO, and you'll have a bear of a time doing it...

-Dan

banjo
16-Jan-2011, 17:39
hey
the best way that I have come up with to cut film down is
I use a Martin Yale 7000E 12" Paper Stack Cutter
it has a clamp to hold a stack in place!
I cut 25 sheet of 4x5 film down to 23 all at the some time!!
I have a jig on to cutter so I can do it all in the dark
I cut the 2 1/4 first then turn a 1/4 turn in to the next slot in the jig
then cut 3 1/4 then turn it to about a 45* in the third slot cut it this
lets me know this side up then I can then code notch
then cut the other half the same way
as far as to a "regular" Harrison tent? never seen one

banjo

banjo
16-Jan-2011, 17:51
hey I bobo!! the third slot cut is just about a 1/32 off of the conner
so I know this emulsion side up so I can then code notch for what film
I am using

So more like this
the best way that I have come up with to cut film down is
I use a Martin Yale 7000E 12" Paper Stack Cutter
it has a clamp to hold a stack in place!
I cut 25 sheet of 4x5 film down to 23 all at the some time!!
I have a jig on to cutter so I can do it all in the dark
I cut the 2 1/4 first then turn a 1/4 turn in to the next slot in the jig
then cut 3 1/4 then turn it to about a 45* in the third slot cut is just
about a 1/32 off of the conner so I know this emulsion side up so
I can then code notch for what film I am using

banjo

Phil Hudson
17-Jan-2011, 02:04
I'm also looking to cut some film down like the OP so I'm watching this thread with interest.

Can I also ask for suggestions about what people use for notch cutting? Is there something ready-made at a stationary store for example that would do the job easily and reliably? I have thought about modifying a hole punch but is there anything obvious that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!

Rayt
17-Jan-2011, 04:40
I meant to write "Standard" instead of "regular". The other two Harrison sizes are "Jumbo" and "Pup". I am trying to find a away to scratch that Chamonix 5x8 itch. I thought I could cut one sheet at a time in the tent and then immediately load a holder before I forget which side is the emulsion side :)

bobwysiwyg
17-Jan-2011, 04:41
If it is for the occasion film cutting (not 10-25 sheets at one stroke) you might consider a Fiskars cutter, quite compact, handles and 8x10 easily. I've used it to split 4x5 sheets.

banjo
19-Jan-2011, 01:51
I'm also looking to cut some film down like the OP so I'm watching this thread with interest.

Can I also ask for suggestions about what people use for notch cutting? Is there something ready-made at a stationary store for example that would do the job easily and reliably? I have thought about modifying a hole punch but is there anything obvious that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!}}}}}

I use Fiskars hole punch's with stops that I add to them so to only notch (not put a holes)
as they came in different shapes & if you do your processing like I do you can make your own code
but I try to make them match if I can!

Banjo

Scott Davis
19-Jan-2011, 06:06
I use a Dahle rotary cutter. I forget the model number off the top of my head, but it can handle paper up to about 20" wide. The trick to notch codes is if you're not trying to halve a bigger sheet to end up with two sheets, just trim off the other side of the sheet so you don't cut off the original notch.

domaz
19-Jan-2011, 12:44

Thanks in advance!

You could get one of those rounded corner cutters at a scrapbooking store and just cut one of the corners to designate the emulsion side. They would be easy to use in the dark.

banjo
19-Jan-2011, 18:36
You could get one of those rounded corner cutters at a scrapbooking store and just cut one of the corners to designate the emulsion side. They would be easy to use in the dark.

will yes That's I {{{{{then turn it to about a 45* in the third slot cut is just
about a 1/32 off of the conner so I know this emulsion side up}}}}}

that can work if you ONLY USE ONE KIND OF FILM any thing to let you Know
your emulsion side
AS for me I do cut B&W ,, E6 ,, & C41 so I need some kind of notch codes

I have about 5 different hole punchs use one for Tmax 100 ,, one for Tmax 400
one for E6 then one for C41 . They have ten or more hole punchs to pick from
& different sizes too

Banjo

Phil Hudson
26-Jan-2011, 06:50
Thanks everyone for the suggestions about notch cutting.

frotog
26-Jan-2011, 08:02
You don't need the notch to determine which side is the emulsion side. When holding the film in a horizontal plane the emulsion side is always on the inside of the curl. But if you're still freaked out shooting without a notch then just use a hole punch with tape built up just beyond the dye as a guide to bump up against.

I send all my 8x10 film for cutting and packaging to Paul Canavarra at Varo Technical in West Chester, PA. Totally dust-free, reasonable prices, excellent service. Tell him Will sent you.

ChadLanc
26-Jan-2011, 10:53
You don't need the notch to determine which side is the emulsion side. When holding the film in a horizontal plane the emulsion side is always on the inside of the curl. But if you're still freaked out shooting without a notch then just use a hole punch with tape built up just beyond the dye as a guide to bump up against.

I send all my 8x10 film for cutting and packaging to Paul Canavarra at Varo Technical in West Chester, PA. Totally dust-free, reasonable prices, excellent service. Tell him Will sent you.

I've tried calling them for the last 2 weeks and haven't been able to get someone on the line or a call back. Do you know another phone #?

Robert Hughes
26-Jan-2011, 13:48
Me too! I'm always up for cutting down film.

Digital rocks! LF s@cks! Go Steelers!

frotog
26-Jan-2011, 14:00
I've tried calling them for the last 2 weeks and haven't been able to get someone on the line or a call back. Do you know another phone #?

The best way to get in touch with Paul is to email him. Try Jettwash3@aol.com.