PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix question

Frank_E
15-Jan-2011, 17:48
I have a Chamonix 45N1 camera with a Universal bellows
can anyone tell me what the widest lens is that I can use on this camera with these bellows. My question is precipated by the fact that I am following several auctions on the big site right now and wondering whether the camera can take those particular lenses without a recessed board. Thanks for your help

Scotty230358
15-Jan-2011, 22:52
According two the company's web site www.chamonixviewcamera.com the minimum bellows extension is 45mm. However, I suspect that you would have very little room for movements as the bellows would be beginning to bind at at point.

Jiri Vasina
16-Jan-2011, 02:52
I don't know about Chamonix 45, but my Chamonix 5x8 with reversible back is stated (on the Chamonix website) to have a minimum bellows extension of 110mm. That's not so... I can focus my widest lens, the 120mm Aristostigmat to infinity, but only using indirect movements.

And the bellows compression is so great that it in facts won't allow any movements - more about that on my website (http://www.vasina.net/?p=2792).

Jiri

Frank_E
16-Jan-2011, 09:26
thanks for the feedback
I did in fact look at the specs on line
but missed seeing it (obviously I was not careful enough)

was successful on my bid on the 65mm lens
so am a happy camper from several perspectives

JON BUTLER
16-Jan-2011, 10:01
I'm using a 47mm XL on the 1&2n cameras on problem, flat board on the 1n and a 15mm recessed one on the 2n.
The universal bellows allow a little front rise and or tilt, remember the 47mm XL has not got a large image circle so this is enough.
JON.

vinny
16-Jan-2011, 10:17
The problem with movements and the universal bellows is the fabric getting in the way of the rear element. That's with my 90mm nikkor sw. I use shen hao bag bellows as well. Perfect fit.

Frank_E
16-Jan-2011, 10:32
the lens I got was the Super Angulon 65mm f8
which has a somewhat restrictive image circle for 4x5
so don't have the ability for much movements anyways
but I wanted a wide lens
and the price was right ($187)

Ken Rockwell speaks well of the lens (and I know that doesn't hold much weight with many….)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/65.htm

eddie
16-Jan-2011, 11:08
i used a 65mm f8 on my 45n1 with regular bellows no problem...well it was snug when trying movements.

i focus at about 7 to 12 feet and stop it way down. this will give you a bit more "movement" and image circle

rayyen
17-Jan-2011, 04:02
thanks for the information, it's really helpful : )

Dave Grenet
17-Jan-2011, 07:03
Hi Frank, I use that very lens on my 45N2 on a flat board with no problems (and yes, not much movement is possible). Bear in mind that some of these lenses come in a 00 shutter and you'll need an appropriate lens board is yours is one of them!

Frank_E
17-Jan-2011, 08:19
Hi Frank, I use that very lens on my 45N2 on a flat board with no problems (and yes, not much movement is possible). Bear in mind that some of these lenses come in a 00 shutter and you'll need an appropriate lens board is yours is one of them!

Dave
thanks for the response
don't know more about the lens that what I see in the Ebay pictures
I know it comes in a Compur shutter which I assume is a 00

the previous owner sold the camera at the same time in a separate auction
he was using it on a Toyo 45D with a recessed lens board that he sold with the camera. I was assuming the reason he needed the recessed board is because that was the constraint of his Toyo.

from the above can you tell me what board I might need
am I to understand that a flat board won't work for me

thanks