PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger help

Alan Curtis
14-Jan-2011, 11:18
I have one of the original Zone VI 5x7 cold light enlargers that I purchased when it first was sold, it still works great. I would like to modernize to be able to print on VC paper. The optional VC head for this enlarger shows up on ebay. I contacted Calumet and it's not in stock any longer. Any opinions on buying a old Zone VI VC head or is there something newer that is a better option? I bought the filter set Zone VI sold many years ago and wasn't too pleased with that method. Is there a good VC head available or should I invest in a new enlarger.

domaz
14-Jan-2011, 11:36
I would just go and look for a color head personally. So much easier to change contrast once you get the hang of it. Search around though and there is a thread where it explains how to get a new V54-like bulb for it that can print VC paper.

Gem Singer
14-Jan-2011, 12:05
Alan,

The sales people at Calumet are only knowledgeable about the items that are available in their computer sytem.

Call Calumet again and ask to speak to the service (tech) department.

Calumet still stock parts for Zone VI enlargers, and perhaps a tech can advise you on how to go about modifying your lamp house for VC printing. There might be a V54 bulb available for it or a yellow filter that will modify the color of the standard blue cold light.

Other options: try to find a good previously owned VC lamp house or continue to use graded papers.

ic-racer
14-Jan-2011, 13:39
If it is like the W45 Aristo heads, the Ilford MG contrast grade spacing bunches up at the high contrast end, making filters 3 through 5 similar. To open up the spacing between the filters some additional yellow filtration (30 to 40cc or so) makes a standard Ilford MG filter pack work pretty well.

Have you tested it to check the MG filter spacing as it is?

Eric Woodbury
14-Jan-2011, 14:49
Either the color head or the new V54 tubes from Aristo are fantastic and a lot faster than a coldlight VC head.

Ron McElroy
14-Jan-2011, 17:35
Did anyone make a colorhead adapter for a Zone VI enlarger, either the type1 or type2?

dap
15-Jan-2011, 10:34
Did anyone make a colorhead adapter for a Zone VI enlarger, either the type1 or type2?

I can remember hearing about Zone VI factory adapter that allowed the use of a 4x5 Beseler color head. I never saw one in the flesh - you might want to ring up that Calumet tech line and ask.

Alan Curtis
15-Jan-2011, 11:22
I spoke to a tech rep at Calumet yesterday. They still repair the Zone VI enlargers and other Zone VI products. However, the VC heads are long gone and they don't have any VC heads that easily fit. His suggestion was new enlarger or stay with graded paper. So, graded paper is my destiny. After 50 years of graded paper I probably couldn't figure out how to use the VC paper anyway.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Allen in Montreal
16-Jan-2011, 11:50
I spoke to a tech rep at Calumet yesterday. They still repair the Zone VI enlargers and other Zone VI products. However, the VC heads are long gone and they don't have any VC heads that easily fit. His suggestion was new enlarger or stay with graded paper. So, graded paper is my destiny. After 50 years of graded paper I probably couldn't figure out how to use the VC paper anyway.

Thanks to all for your responses.

I feel for you!
The last few years have completely sucked as all the old good stuff has been discontinued, the last boxes having disappeared from shelves, or re-worked to be a fraction of it's former self!
It is a little discouraging to have to completely "re-tool".