PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Monopod in Carry On

Sideshow Bob
13-Jan-2011, 14:09
I’m leaving Sat for a three week trip to Vietnam and am thinking about taking a carbon fiber monopod in carry on. Do you think I can get through security? I checked the TSA web site and they don’t list a monopod but they do prohibit sporting equipment such as baseball and cricked bats. Anyone have any experience they could share?
Thanks,
Gale

John Jarosz
13-Jan-2011, 14:31
You probably won't be permitted. In any event, why risk it? If they stop you at security you'll have to go back and check it (if you have time). There's really no other option unless you consider tossing it into their large garbage cans an option.

jeroldharter
13-Jan-2011, 14:42
Use it as a cane and accuse them of violating the ADA - probably won't work in Viet Nam.

I took a monopod and did not have any trouble on a trip to Ecuador. I can't remember if I took it carry on or checked. If you use a head on the monopod, I would remove it and use the monopod at a short length as a walking stick.

Tom Monego
13-Jan-2011, 15:17
About 15 years ago I took a monopod in my camera bag and the guy on the xray thought it was a gun, got taken into a room with some officers. They pulled it out and started laughing, said the monopod and the Gitzo ball head looked just like an Uzi on the xray.
But no sharp edges, don't know why they wouldn't let you take it. Heck i was let on the plane.

Tom

Drew Wiley
13-Jan-2011, 15:44
I took a full carbon tripod on carry-on not long ago. No problem. But it was a Gitzo
4-section model which would collapse short enough to fit inside the regulation size
carryon bag I use for gear. You could have a plan B and a pouch for checked-in luggage if you allowed yourself extra time and got to security early. Other than visually inspecting my stuff, I've never had a tripod issue with security or with the plane attendants.

BrianShaw
13-Jan-2011, 16:03
I last took a monopod on a plane before 9-11 so I don't know what they might say now. Way back then there was no problem in the US, but on arrival at Heathrow I was questioned by a couple of cops who wanted to know what kind of aerial (antenna) it was and why I was bringing into their country. When I told them it was a camera support, something like a tripod but with only one leg, they wanted to know what held it up. A demonstration left them both scratching hteir heads and satisfied that they had fully investigated a suspcious situation.

Frank Petronio
13-Jan-2011, 19:50
There are monopods and then there are monopods... opt for the cheap, little one.

Sideshow Bob
14-Jan-2011, 00:10
I'm not going to need it in the plane :-) so I guess I'll put it in my checked bag, I would hate to throw my gold plated $300 monopod in the trash.
Thanks for all the info.
Gale

Roger Thoms
14-Jan-2011, 00:18
Last time I flew, I put carried on my camera and put my tripod in my checked luggage. Figured better safe than sorry. Now my girl friend has a bad hip and flies with her cane no problem, in fact it gets her right to the front of the security line. Believe me the cane is a weapon and people definitely train to use them as such, but no problem flying with one.

Probably best to check the monopod.

Roger

Matus Kalisky
14-Jan-2011, 04:22
I flew with carbon tripod to New Zealand 2 years ago - no problem at all (8 check-ins on the way there and back) I just took off the 1" metal spikes. Security guys were more curious about my Tachihara. One though it was an underwater camera :p

cowanw
14-Jan-2011, 06:20
At Christmas time the security confiscated my allen wrench for the arca swiss plate.
Regards
Bill