PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar with Aldis Uno Anastigmat F7.7 6 Inch

DanK
11-Jan-2011, 17:13
Curious if anyone is familiar with this lens....

It is an Aldis Uno Anastigmat 6in F7.7...

I've found very little, beyond Hugh Aldis working for Dallmeyer...

All other Aldis lenses I have seen have been black and had serial numbers...

This one is laquered brass and all lettering is stamped, no serial number...occlusions in glass...

Looks to cover 5x7...

Any info on this would sure be appreciated...approx year, design, use, etc...

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Fromm
11-Jan-2011, 17:40
The VM speaks positively of f/7.7 Unos, says "Uno is a very nice contrasty sharp lens and fully usable today if used with care and was a real bargain." The general layout is
() | )() where "|" represents the diaphragm and the cemented doublet is in front. The VM shows two different cross-sections that have the same layout but with elements of rather different thicknesses and curvatures.

Only four air-glass interfaces and very resistant to flare. I have a 4.75"/7.7 Uno, find it contrasty but not as sharp as expected. It covers 2x3 well, i.e., corners are as sharp as the center, but even stopped down it isn't quite as sharp as a decent Tessar. Definitely a usable lens. Hang your brassie in front of a shutter and try it out.

The f/7.7 three elements in two groups Uno is slightly telephoto, i.e., back focus is a somewhat shorter than expected.

I have another f/7.7 Uno, somewhat larger and longer, in broken Lukos shutter. I've tried it out on my Speed Graphic, same story. Also not bad, but again there are sharper lenses. Both of my f/7.7s have rear elements that are very nearly flat on both sides. How's yours?

I also have a 4"/4.5 Uno (so engraved) that is a plain ordinary Cooke triplet. Not a bad lens either, but there are better. So Uno is a trade name as well as a design type.

None of my Unos (all so engraved) has a serial number.

DanK
11-Jan-2011, 18:29
The VM speaks positively of f/7.7 Unos, says "Uno is a very nice contrasty sharp lens and fully usable today if used with care and was a real bargain." The general layout is
() | )() where "|" represents the diaphragm and the cemented doublet is in front. The VM shows two different cross-sections that have the same layout but with elements of rather different thicknesses and curvatures.

Only four air-glass interfaces and very resistant to flare. I have a 4.75"/7.7 Uno, find it contrasty but not as sharp as expected. It covers 2x3 well, i.e., corners are as sharp as the center, but even stopped down it isn't quite as sharp as a decent Tessar. Definitely a usable lens. Hang your brassie in front of a shutter and try it out.

The f/7.7 three elements in two groups Uno is slightly telephoto, i.e., back focus is a somewhat shorter than expected.

I have another f/7.7 Uno, somewhat larger and longer, in broken Lukos shutter. I've tried it out on my Speed Graphic, same story. Also not bad, but again there are sharper lenses. Both of my f/7.7s have rear elements that are very nearly flat on both sides. How's yours?

I also have a 4"/4.5 Uno (so engraved) that is a plain ordinary Cooke triplet. Not a bad lens either, but there are better. So Uno is a trade name as well as a design type.

None of my Unos (all so engraved) has a serial number.

Thanks Dan,

Appreciate the info....

Yes the rear element is near flat front and back...

And front alone shows three strong and one faint reflection, looks to be oriented as you describe...

I'm curious if your lenses open up a little further than the F7.7...this one, the diaphragm closes down a few mm's to get to the 7.7....might be a tad faster than marked...

Thanks again,
Dan

Shen45
11-Jan-2011, 21:39
I have an 11" 7.7 Uno and it is a very nice lens. Sharp across the field with very good contrast. Mine has a serial number on the very front edge of the lens.