PDA

View Full Version : IR bellows

612tom
9-Jan-2011, 23:37
So my bellows are definitely not IR-proof, my negs are coming out almost completely black and are not printable.

The film edges are clear and an unexposed sheet also develops fully clear, so my changing tent, holders and developing tank are not at fault. My exposure method is also the same as in the past where I used a camera with leather bellows and had no problems at all.

So the search begins for a new set of IR proof bellows – there’s plenty of resources out there, but I thought a set of bag bellows might be good for me as I mainly use wides (this is on 4x10” by the way).

Having successes in the past with the leather bellows of the Ebony, I thought this would be a good starting point for making some IR-proof bag bellows. But I've found a few extra materials - like the BKF black aluminium foil toward the bottom of this page (http://www.thorlabs.us/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=190&pn=BK5&CFID=1090286&CFTOKEN=75193239)

Is this likely to be too thin and tear? Perhaps it would be good to line a sheet of leather with this stuff?

The vendor shows a wavelength and percentage reflectance chart (attached), with spikes in the high 800nm range – does this mean it does a good job of blocking out IR, or does it mean the exact opposite and it is no good?

I’d be keen to hear other people’s successes with IR-proof materials for bellows….

Thanks in advance

B.S.Kumar
9-Jan-2011, 23:47
Tom, talk to Mike Collette at Betterlight. He'll likely help, even if you're not using a Betterlight :D

Kumar

GPS
10-Jan-2011, 00:49
When you had success with leather bellows why don't you just go with it?

612tom
10-Jan-2011, 20:53
Tom, talk to Mike Collette at Betterlight. He'll likely help, even if you're not using a Betterlight :D
Kumar

Thanks Kumar - I will drop him a line...

When you had success with leather bellows why don't you just go with it?

It would be a good starting point if I could source the same leather as Ebony use...

GPS
11-Jan-2011, 01:51

It would be a good starting point if I could source the same leather as Ebony use...

Just try with leather, it will do.

Steve Hamley
11-Jan-2011, 04:12
Try Richard Ritter. IIRC he uses an IR proof material. When I spoke to him about an 8x10 bag bellows, I believe he said that soe of the newer Ebony bellows were not IR proof while the older ones were.

Cheers, Steve