PDA

View Full Version : Is this a meniscus lens?

Simon Benton
9-Jan-2011, 18:32
I noticed this lens on the auction site and thought it might be an old meniscus lens. I won the auction for a very low price so even if it is worthless I have not lost much. Was I correct in thinking it might be a meniscus lens? I realise that when I receive the lens I will know but any information in the meantime gratefully received. I am really enjoying playing with soft focus lenses - some of the effects are really intriguing.

DanK
9-Jan-2011, 19:01
Looks similar to the lens I have here...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=70000

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Galli
9-Jan-2011, 21:12
Yes, it should be an achromatic meniscus doublet and without the neckdown up front it should have a fine soft focus look to it. Have fun.

Steven Tribe
10-Jan-2011, 07:15
These meniscus landscape lenses were quite popular as the cheap option on Poco/Premo cycle type cameras. Shutter may not be too reliable, though.

Fotoguy20d
13-Jan-2011, 11:54
I was keeping an eye on that lens (mostly out of curiosity as I have one just like it). Mine is a cemented doublet and quite a nice performer stopped down a bit. Attached were with a 4x5 Speed and Delta 100. I've never tried removing the front aperture - not sure how for that matter.

Dan

Simon Benton
14-Jan-2011, 14:49
Thank you all for the replies. I am looking forward to receiving the lens and trying it out.

walter23
17-Jan-2011, 21:48
I've never tried removing the front aperture - not sure how for that matter.

Dan

It may just screw off, similar to removing the front elements of a lens. Wish I could find one of these. I have a few odd meniscus lenses but they're from smaller formats (crappy old 620 roll film cameras and stuff). May have to just buy a new one from surplus shed; same thing, just not as cool looking.

BTW, anyone else notice people have gotten greedy with their old crappy camera listings? I see so many cruddy old folding ratty cameras (kodak 620s and such) listing in the hundreds of dollars on ebay these days.

walter23
17-Jan-2011, 22:51
Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350176663834

Is the seller on crack? Or laundering money from the sales of such? Yeesh.

Fotoguy20d
18-Jan-2011, 10:14
Is the seller on crack? Or laundering money from the sales of such? Yeesh.

That seller is notorious for his priciing

walter23
18-Jan-2011, 13:04
That seller is notorious for his priciing

Well, I didn't know about him, but it's not just that guy and photoarsenal and gokevincameras; lots of other sellers are putting up junky old box cameras and stuff for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.