PDA

View Full Version : After a developing and scanning session today...

timing
9-Jan-2011, 12:29
...I thought I'd share some on here.

This is a mix of 4x5 and 8x10 from a few sites around Turkey.

All comments gratefully received.

Tim

timing
9-Jan-2011, 12:31
And a few more.

Thebes
9-Jan-2011, 13:40
I love the composition of the tree and benches image. Its slightly imperfect symmetry echos the weathered feel of the stone.

Peter De Smidt
9-Jan-2011, 16:05
All are nice, but the three balanced rocks picture is excellent.

adietrich
9-Jan-2011, 18:43
I like to those "stripes and arches".

tgtaylor
9-Jan-2011, 18:53
Terriffic subject matter Tim - easily well worth a considerable investment in time in both film and printing. These images are good but you can make them better!

Thomas

Nathan Potter
9-Jan-2011, 21:29
In the tree with the benches there is a hanging box like device that keeps grabbing my attention - drives me nuts. Now that you have a digital copy you can block it with a small mass of leaves.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

timing
11-Jan-2011, 08:31
Perhaps I should add a little info on the images.

The mosque and arches shot is Selimye Mosque - perhaps the most impressive mosque in the country,

The fortress / landscapeshot is Assos in Cappadocia. And the fairy Chimneys (last 2) are also in Capadoccia - some fascinating early Christian history there.

The ruins are from Troy, the shot with the tree is the theatre dating back to Roman Troy and the other 2 shots are the remnants of a Roman Monument with 2 wells (probably both later Troy - Hellenistic or Roman).

The last 2 shots are with 8x10 and I'll get around around to contact printing them hopefully this weekend. Last practice needed to improve my technique as I've just started contact printing.

Nate, the box is actually a floodlight which has been hung in branches - more than a little annoying, I agree.

The 3 days I was in Capadoccia, the weather was bright but with cloud cover so no hope of getting an detail in the sky. The weather changed dramatically on the last day when we were leaving and I had just enough time to grab my RZ67, some rolls of velvia and shoot the balloons that had started flying again - but I can't post those here. You can see them on the 2st two flickr pages here though My Flickr Page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ingmire/)

Ken Lee
11-Jan-2011, 13:50
All comments gratefully received

Perhaps it is my monitor, but they all look a little light.

They might look even nicer, printed with richer tones.

Ken Lee
11-Jan-2011, 16:06
On closer examination, I see that many of the images are made during the middle of the day, when the Sun is overhead.

This is just my opinion, but you might find it interesting to shoot either earlier in the day - or later - so that Nature herself can paint with a broader... palette :)

hmf
11-Jan-2011, 18:52
I'd like to see the tree with benches printed with maybe the bottom two rows cropped out. As is, the image is split nearly perfectly in half top to bottom - almost like two seperate images. The bottom rows are kind of flat anyway, by getting rid of them you'd get to the stronger contrast of the upper levels and bring the tree down to earth a bit, and make it the center of attention.

timing
15-Jan-2011, 04:45
Hi Ken, you are right. One of my limiting factors is that as I'm travelling around Turkey I'm with my family so getting out on my own at any time is a little difficult. Of course that's also partly excuse - I just need to haul my sorry butt out and about !

I'd like to see the tree with benches printed with maybe the bottom two rows cropped out. As is, the image is split nearly perfectly in half top to bottom - almost like two seperate images. The bottom rows are kind of flat anyway, by getting rid of them you'd get to the stronger contrast of the upper levels and bring the tree down to earth a bit, and make it the center of attention.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a try later and see how it changes the photo.

Tim

timing
22-Jan-2011, 04:34
I managed to get a free couple of hours last weekend and here is the best contact print I was able to make of the Fairy Chimneys.

Printed on Ilford Multgrade paper.

The dodging was a wee bit tricky and I dare say with a little more practice the picture would be better. Still as a first serious attempt I'm quite pleased.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5377764292_bbc66c368d_b.jpg

Tim