PDA

View Full Version : using a polarizer on a gaoersi 617 help?

Momentz
8-Jan-2011, 22:08
Hi
I have a Gaoersi 617 camera, just wondering how i use a polarizer without having to wind the film back onto the spool and put the ground glass in?
thanks

Eric James
8-Jan-2011, 23:12
Face your subject as you have oriented your camera, hold the filter up to your eye, rotate to the desired degree of polarization, note the position of a reference point on the filter rim (e.g. the + of B+W is at 3:00), attach the filter to your lens and rotate your reference point to the desired position.

Lachlan 717
9-Jan-2011, 01:50
That's the way that I do it. Occasionally, I will check it on the GG; however, this is a rarity.

Just be careful of banding in blue skies if you're using wide angles and a Polariser on a 6x17!!

Bob Salomon
9-Jan-2011, 02:26
Heliopan polarizers are edge calibrated for exactly this reason. Hold the filter to your eye, rotatate it till you see the effect you want. See the position of any of the edge numbers. Put the filter on the lens and rotate it to the same position.

Just remember when using any pol on extreme wide angle lense that you will get banding in the sky.

jars121
21-Dec-2011, 19:51
Hey guys, just bumping this thread up as I have a question. Is a 105mm lens on the 617 considered wide enough for banding to occur? It's equivalent to approximately 24mm on 35mm, which I've used a CPL with before and had no problem. OP, did you end up getting a CPL for your gaoersi?

Thanks!

Corran
21-Dec-2011, 21:57
In my experience it simply depends on the orientation of the camera and weather. I'm sure you will get more specific answers but if you can see banding through the filter in roughly your framed image perimeter well...there you go.

Unless I'm aimed 90 degrees from the sun and at either a couple hours after or before the sun is risen/fallen I prefer a GND filter rather than a CPL. It usually works better, though a pain in the butt.

alexn
21-Dec-2011, 23:50
I get banding in a clear blue sky with my 90mm on my 6x17, But it does depend on where you are facing... Generally facing north or south an hour or so after sunrise will give worst results....

Just holding the CPL up to your eye and examining the results before use is the key....

jars121
22-Dec-2011, 00:52
Thanks guys :) I might have to try and find a decent second hand 77mm CPL then.

Greg Lockrey
22-Dec-2011, 09:38
I have a toothpick glued to a rubber lens shade that I use with the polarizer. It lines up with the dot on the filter about 1/8" away. When I line the shade from the toothpick directly over the dot, I know I have maximum polarizer effect.

E. von Hoegh
22-Dec-2011, 09:47
I have a toothpick glued to a rubber lens shade that I use with the polarizer. It lines up with the dot on the filter about 1/8" away. When I line the shade from the toothpick directly over the dot, I know I have maximum polarizer effect.

Slick!! Thanks. :)

(wondering why the $%@@#& I didn't think of this decades ago...)