PDA

View Full Version : Commercial film cutting services?

dbmiller
7-Jan-2011, 16:10
Anybody know of any labs or commercial services that will cut 8x10 film down to 5x7?

Thanks

vinny
7-Jan-2011, 16:44
There was a post about this recently. Did u do a search here?

dbmiller
7-Jan-2011, 17:50
Yes, I had already run several searches when I made the post, and had come up with everything from cutting costs to cutting film by hand. I apologize if there was already a post about this, but I wasn't able to find anything regarding commercial services.

If there was already a post and somebody can point me to it, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks again

Pawlowski6132
7-Jan-2011, 19:23
I've seen this topic before. I'm obviously missing something. Why can't you just cut it yourself????

JC Kuba
8-Jan-2011, 08:49
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=68442&highlight=cut

See post #9

Sanjay Sen
8-Jan-2011, 10:47
Here is one that I know of, and have spoken to (mentioned in the post linked to above):

Varo Technical Services
1313 Wilmington Pike
Building B,
West Chester, PA 19382-8217
(610) 399-1223
http://www.varotechnical.com

Just to give you an idea, the cost to cut down 8x10 to 4x10 is 85c/sheet with a $50 setup charge. I am guessing the charge for cutting 8x10 to 5x7 will be different, but the above is to give you an idea. (In the case of cutting to 4x10, they said they did not have the capability to put a notch code on the second sheet.) Turnaround time, I was told, would be approximately 2 days.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Jim Becia
9-Jan-2011, 07:00
Here is one that I know of, and have spoken to (mentioned in the post linked to above):

Varo Technical Services
1313 Wilmington Pike
Building B,
West Chester, PA 19382-8217
(610) 399-1223
http://www.varotechnical.com

Just to give you an idea, the cost to cut down 8x10 to 4x10 is 85c/sheet with a $50 setup charge. I am guessing the charge for cutting 8x10 to 5x7 will be different, but the above is to give you an idea. (In the case of cutting to 4x10, they said they did not have the capability to put a notch code on the second sheet.) Turnaround time, I was told, would be approximately 2 days.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sanjay's info here is right on. I used them recently and the costs are the same for cutting 8x10 down to 5x7. They do a very nice job. And while I have cut my own film down to 5x7, it is quite a hassle as there are three cuts to make and three times as many chances for mistakes and mishandling. They do not put a notch in the second sheet of the 5x7 film and the original notch ends up on the left side near the top. Not a problem as far as I am concerned. Paul was the individual I worked with at Varo Technical. (I do cut my own 4x10 film as that requires one simple cut and you are done.) Jim

JC Kuba
9-Jan-2011, 08:04
Sanjay's info here is right on. I used them recently and the costs are the same for cutting 8x10 down to 5x7. They do a very nice job. And while I have cut my own film down to 5x7, it is quite a hassle as there are three cuts to make and three times as many chances for mistakes and mishandling. They do not put a notch in the second sheet of the 5x7 film and the original notch ends up on the left side near the top. Not a problem as far as I am concerned. Paul was the individual I worked with at Varo Technical. (I do cut my own 4x10 film as that requires one simple cut and you are done.) Jim

What type of packaging did they return the 5x7 film in?

JC

Jim Becia
9-Jan-2011, 12:21
What type of packaging did they return the 5x7 film in?

JC

JC,

In my case, I sent them 8x10 film in (of course) 8x10 boxes. I sent them 100 sheets. The returned them in the same boxes. Inside the boxes, they packaged the film in 25 sheet packages using a black bag taped up. They make sure to package and orient the film correctly. I suppose if you had some 5x7 boxes, they could package them in the boxes. But basically, they come back packaged in the same boxes. (I transferred all my film to 5x7 boxes once I received the film. Jim