PDA

View Full Version : Wisner cameras

Lara Murphy
8-Mar-1999, 11:52
Has anyone who's used both Wisner's Traditional and Expedition models in 8x10? I'd like to know what differences you may have noticed between them. ie. rigidit y, gears, bellows? Is it worth the difference in price?

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
8-Mar-1999, 12:12
I have not owned any Wisner 8 X 10, but I did own 1 4 X 5 T.F. and 1 5 X 7 T.F. I really liked the geared rear axis tilt, but never used the rear rise. When I moved up to 8 X 10 I could no longer afford any Wisner, so I went with a Calumet C3.

I started thinking, Deardorff has been around since 1923. They never incorporated a rear axis tilt, even though that was a design option. Bert Stern, Richard Avedon, Hedrich Blessing, Irving Penn, all used Deardorffs. What am I gonna do that they haven't done? The number and names of fine art photographers that use 'dorffs is even longer. They weigh less than a Wisner T.F. They cost less used, hmmmmm...

So, had I had the $ I would've gotten the Traditional. By the way, how long are your arms? The 36" extension of the Traditional is more than I can use from behind the camera, you have to do the dance - go to the front, adjust, go to the back, check, go to the front, adjust, go to the back, check...

I don't know what your $ situation is, what you're shooting requirements are, whether you'll be backpacking to Whoknowswhere, MT, but if I had the option, I would've bought the Traditional. As it was I got 2 Kodak Master Cameras for less than the cost of 1 traditional, but that's nother thread..

Ellis Vener
8-Mar-1999, 17:22
Have you considered the Canham 8x10, or other 8x10s (Phillips, Lotus, etc)? And if so what is it that appeals most about the Wisner for you?

Lara Murphy
8-Mar-1999, 20:28
Lotus is pretty much out of my price range, and Phillips I find hard to get info on. I prefer wood to metal, that rules out Canham. I hear Phillips are light cameras, but sometimes a little short on the bellows.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
8-Mar-1999, 22:02
I'm not sure I follow ruling out Canham, unless he makes an all metal 8 X 10? He costs less than the Wisner Exped & Pocket Exped but more than the Traditional. Both Canham & Wisner use wood for the standards and lensboards and metal for the focus gears, tracks, standard supports, etc.

Ellis Vener
9-Mar-1999, 00:14
The canham 8x10 is a wood/metal hybrid. like the Wisner, Lotus, Phillips, Deardo rff.