PDA

View Full Version : First large format shots Of Ella

johnschlicher
6-Jan-2011, 17:59
Ok--I have a lot of pressure on me. The family want's me to take b/w photo's of Ella my first and only grandchild---45 and and Grandpa-- she's 2 weeks old

Looking for ideas with the Dad and Daughter--maybe hands with the baby,--natural light through a window holding her?

I have two weeks til this happens any thoughts or past experiences would be appreciated...Thanks John

Vaughn
6-Jan-2011, 18:17
Dang! I wasn't a father until I was 43! Congrats Granddad!!!!

I have always like the naked baby nested in the arms of a shirtless dad (window light sounds good).

Lachlan 717
6-Jan-2011, 18:38
Have a look at Anne Geddes' stuff; sufficiently cliched enough for ANY parent to like...

David Hedley
7-Jan-2011, 00:55
Congratulations, John.

Daniel Stone
7-Jan-2011, 10:57
what about a 1/2 length portrait of dad and baby? I'm thinking something like a big window, and standing nice and still :). Baby sleeping would be best.

-Dan

Bill Burk
8-Jan-2011, 10:37
Congratulations! I wish you an amazing universally-resounding photo.
I was struck by Dorothea Lange's "First Born Berkeley" and tried it twice. The first time I came close, the second time I didn't feel it. One thing that Lange's photo speaks to me is the sheer and utter exhaustion in the newborn father's face, evident by the disheveled glasses.
The idea I'd offer you is to volunteer to take care of Ella for a few days. Setup your shot in advance and forget about pictures for a while. Wear yourself out with Ella. Take care of her every need. When you are totally wiped out, capture the moment in all its glory as you crash on the couch with late afternoon sunlight streaming through the curtains while Ella pulls your nose trying to wake you up.