PDA

View Full Version : Epson Scanner Question

Kevin Crisp
6-Jan-2011, 11:35
Is there an older model that does a decent job on larger negatives like 8X10, 4X10 and 5X7? I know the V700 is good, but I only scan them for emailing and posting so my standards aren't super high. I have a 2400 something now that can't do 5X7 and can almost do 4X10. Quality is plenty good enough for what I need.

If there is some brand other than Epson, I'd be fine with that. I'm just looking for a reasonably priced flat bed (used) for larger film sizes.

Thanks.

Liam:
6-Jan-2011, 11:42
The epson 4990 covers up to 8x10 but its rare and very popular.

Kevin Crisp
7-Jan-2011, 10:23
Terrific. Thanks.

Kirk Gittings
7-Jan-2011, 10:28
I have a 3200 laying around that I will give you for the shipping. I think it will do 8x10? I have no holders, instructions etc.-just the scanner which worked the last time I used it like 4-5 years ago before replacing it with a 4990 and then V750.

Kevin Crisp
7-Jan-2011, 10:36
This is very generous of you. The specs I've found on line indicate a maximum scan of 4X9 on film, though. Unless they're conservative.

Kirk Gittings
7-Jan-2011, 11:02
Sorry I couldn't remember.

Kevin Crisp
7-Jan-2011, 11:12
No need to apologize, that was a generous offer and I appreciate it.

Kevin

dikaiosune01
20-Jan-2011, 21:36
For emailing puroses i like to take a picture with my dslr. I set my light table on the ground, carefully focus my camera on a tripod and bubble level. And shoot. However i dont have a scanner to speak of so im going to now ask my own scanner question. i hope nobody minds.

I'm in the market for a good scanner. It will be used to make digital copies to send to the lab. (the used a crappy scan the last time i sent my film to them. i have my eye set on the epson v700 to v750. To my underatanding, the only difference is the number on the box and a wet mount film holder. Is it possible to dyi a solution to wet mount on a v700?

Lachlan 717
20-Jan-2011, 21:39
i have my eye set on the epson v700 to v750. To my underatanding, the only difference is the number on the box and a wet mount film holder. Is it possible to dyi a solution to wet mount on a v700?

I think that Betterscan does a wet mount after market holder.

Also, I think that there is a difference in the lens/focusing system on the 750 compared to the 700.

Both very capable scanners.

Francisco Disilvestro
21-Jan-2011, 03:59
The differences between the V700 & V750 besides the wet mount film holder are:

The flat bed glass is coated (Lens are the same as V700) focus is fixed in both.

Upgraded version of Silverfast (AI), including Monaco EZColor (V700 only includes Silverfast SE)

Ken Lee
21-Jan-2011, 05:06
The Epson scanners have best focus slightly above the glass. You can make your own holder, or use the holders made by BetterScanning.

The BetterScanning holders let you position your film above the glass, and adjust the height via screws - so that you can get the best possible performance from your scanner.

You can see BetterScanning's comparison photos here (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vb_advantage.html).

You can see the results I got, here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/holderAdjustment.html).

You can't scan 8x10 negatives, because the scanner maximum scanner coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5 inches.

You may also find it interesting to know that these scanners perform best in the Green channel. See this short article (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanningGreen.html) for further explanation.

sanking
21-Jan-2011, 06:05
T
The BetterScanning holder does not allow you to scan 8x10 negatives, because the holder itself occupies some of the available space. However, you can make your own holder with a piece of Anti Newton Ring glass. If you search this forum, you will find many previous discussions of the subject.

This comment is only relevant for the V700/V750 series. While you can scan 8X10 negatives on a piece of AN glace I don't believe you will be able to use enable the super duper high resolution lens that is normally enabled when you use a film holder. That is because its actual coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5".

Sandy

Doug Fisher
21-Jan-2011, 10:30
>>I don't believe you will be able to use enable the super duper high resolution ... because its actual coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5".

Correct.

>>The flat bed glass is coated <<

It is the lens that has the coating, not the flatbed glass.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Ken Lee
21-Jan-2011, 10:34
Thanks for the clarification - I have corrected my post, lest someone get the wrong idea.

sanking
21-Jan-2011, 11:53
Thanks for the clarification - I have corrected my post, lest someone get the wrong idea.

Ken,

There is still some confusion because you can indeed scan 8X10 with the Epson V700/V750, but when you do the other lens is engaged as you select film area guide. With this one engaged the plane of best of focus is around 1mm over the bed of the scanner, in comparison to about 3mm for the lens that is engaged when you select film holder. I believe Epson refers to one lens as the high resolution lens, and the other as the super high resolution lens.

Sandy

Ken Lee
21-Jan-2011, 13:49
Oops - Thank you for the further clarification. :)

Compared to earlier models, like the 4990, is it the presence of the better lens, which boosts the performance from ~1500 spi to ~2300 spi ?

Francisco Disilvestro
21-Jan-2011, 13:52
It is the lens that has the coating, not the flatbed glass.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Correct, I had it wrong.

sanking
21-Jan-2011, 14:32
Oops - Thank you for the further clarification. :)

Compared to earlier models, like the 4990, is it the presence of the better lens, which boosts the performance from ~1500 spi to ~2300 spi ?

Ken,

That is my experience from testing. If you test with the "high resolution lens" real resolution is approximately the same as with the Epson 4990. However, if you enable the "super high resolution lens" with film holder chosen real resolution jumps to at least 2300 spi. Some folks actually report slightly higher. Unfortunately you must scan at 6300 spi to get the full 2300 spi, which will produce a very large file with RGB 4X5, and it takes a long time to scan. But for best results I would recommend scanning that way, and then reduce the resolution to about 2400 spi as soon as the scan is complete.

Some people dump on these Epson scanners but effective resolution of 2300 spi is not half bad for scanning 4X5. My experience is that very few negatives actually contain more information than 2300 spi.

Sandy

Ken Lee
21-Jan-2011, 14:53
Excellent.

Again, this sounds different from the 4990, where no matter how high you scan, you don't get any more detail.

2300 samples per inch is around 94 samples per mm. To convert that into the measure we often use for lenses, would that be 47 line pairs per mm ?

sanking
21-Jan-2011, 15:13
Ken,

I calculate 45 lp/mm. 2300 \ 25.4 \ 2.

But 45 lp/mm is quite good for LF film. My own experience is that it is difficult to get more detail than that on film with 4X5 and larger film.

Sandy

Frank Petronio
21-Jan-2011, 15:44
But to Kevin's initial question, if all he needs is web resolution then there is very little to be gained by scanning that high. Or for a 750 versus a 4990 model.

Stay on the look out for an Espon 4990 - they come up as refurbished items once in a while - $2-300. Or find someone's lightly used one.

There are some Microtek M1s out there as well but they had reliability problems when new. A proven used one maybe better ;-)

Other scanners that used to do 8x10 were made by Linotype and Agfa but I think they were all SCSI-interface and need ancient software.