PDA

View Full Version : 90mm f8 Super Angulons - differences

tim atherton
28-Jul-1998, 16:28
I'm looking for a used 90mm for 4x5 at a reasonable price. I come across f8 Supe r Angulons at varying prices and find it different to tell the difference. I kno w there were a number of models before the current one.

What are the different models, and how does their quality compare?

(And what does DB mean in the description?)

I will be using them for colour as well as b&w.

Thanks,

Tim A

sheldon hambrick
28-Jul-1998, 17:12
I've been looking at these lenses also. All I know is: 1)the chromes ane older and less expensive than the black ones, 2) I think that some of the older ones a re not multi coated, 3) from what I've read, the performance between the older a nd new is pretty close.

Mike Long
29-Jul-1998, 00:35
A couple of years ago I had a Super Angulon 90 f8.0 in a Synchro Compur shutter. It was single coated and produced very good results. The S/C shutter seems to b e common on that vintage lens. The only bad thing about the shutter was that it had bulb only and no press-focus lever. So, it was necessary to trip the shutter and lock the cable release while you focused. This lens had a chrome ring aroun d the front.

Recently, I purchased a 90 F8 MC. It is all black and in a Copal 0 shutter. It i s excellent and after quite a few chromes with it, I can tell it is sharper and has better contrast than the earlier one. While I did not mind the Syncro-Compur shutter, it is nice to have a Copal with press-focus.

If budget is a concern, I think you will be satisfied with the earlier F8 one (n ot the 6.8 version which is reputed to be varying in quality). But, you would be happier with the MC version, based on my experience, if you can spend the extra $$$

In the process of buying the SA, I did have a Rodenstock F6.8 for inspection for a day. It was MC and a very nice lens. I did not take any photographs with it. It was a little heavier than the SA but not by very much.

All of the above was true for B&W or color.

Mike

Ellis Vener
29-Jul-1998, 14:22
The Designation "DB" uusally means it is mounted for use with the Sinar Auto-Shu tter, meaning that while the aperture diaphragm mechanism is mounted in the lens it is set and controlled by a unit that also includes the shutter that mounts on the camera behind the lens.

Mike Long
29-Jul-1998, 23:23
I was unclear on a part of my post. I said the Syncro Compur had "B" only. I mea nt "B" only and not "T". Naturally, all the other speeds are there from 1 sec to 1/500 or 1/400.

Mike

Jim Blecha
4-Aug-1998, 23:37
I own and use 2 Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulons on a regular basis and the only difference I can see is that the new MC version has less tendency to flare than the older SC (single coated, 70's?) version when there happens to be a bright w indow in the corner of an interior composition. In my opinion, this lens has cha nged little over the last 30 years. For 99.9% of potential applications, I doubt anyone could see a quality difference in the results of the two lenses.

Both of my lenses have black barrels and similar dimensions. When shopping for t his lens used, I would be more concerned with its condition than its vintage. A newer, but abused lens with some separation of elements will not perform as well as an older one which has been cared for.