PDA

View Full Version : Is this a light leak or a scanner artifact?

jonathan_lipkin
4-Jan-2011, 12:46
Both scans below are from the same neg. Image on the right (composed of two strips of the file with a black line between them, the crops are from the lower-left corner and right side of the image. Forum software put the Epson scan (one strip) on the left) one scanned on an Imacon flextight, the second on an Epson 750. When I first scanned the neg, I thought I saw a light leak - the blueish tint coming in from the lower left of the neg. But the neg itself looks ok. I'm not so great at looking at negs tho, so I re-scanned with the Epson and the image looks better. Is this some sort of image artifact or is the Imacon simply magnifying a defect that the Epson isn't picking up? Another thing to consider is that I did two Imacon scans of that neg, and the defect looks similar in both scans.
My initial thought was light leak, as I left the holders in the camera with the dark slide out for a minute or two. I hadn't notched the holders at that point, so I can't say if the problems are from one particular holder.

I've seen similar problems with other Imacon-scanned images, but no problem in the corresponding Epson scan, even when scanning twice on the Imacon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Liam:
4-Jan-2011, 13:48
Was this a negative or scan? When scanning negatives I sometimes get bright areas on the edges in light areas of the negative such as sky. I am fairly sure its due to the black negative holder stopping some of the light getting through.

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2011, 14:17
Black plastic negative holders can still reflect some light onto the edges of the film while scanning.

I used to get those all the time when using a Microtek with their holders. I never saw them when the film was right on the glass. Similarly, I don't see that with BetterScanning holder either, because you tape the film to a sheet of glass, which hangs upside-down above the scanner glass.

Liam:
4-Jan-2011, 14:45
Surely if it is a negative any light reflecting onto the neg would make the edges darker.

jonathan_lipkin
4-Jan-2011, 15:32
It's a neg

Liam:
4-Jan-2011, 15:48
I would say its your negative holder stopping the light going through the edges.

jonathan_lipkin
4-Jan-2011, 16:16
Interesting. It's only on some negs, tho. I'll ask the lab supervisor when he gets back from break if any other people have had the same problem.

Ken Lee
5-Jan-2011, 05:59
Surely if it is a negative any light reflecting onto the neg would make the edges darker.

Oops - You're right. :rolleyes:

Since the light comes from a diffuse source above, then perhaps these are "shadows" of the holder edges, as you have suggested.