PDA

View Full Version : I need a tripod

Michael Ault
3-Jan-2011, 21:09
I use a 4x5 Linhof and my old metal tripod is falling apart. I would like to buy a nice wood tripod. Anyone have any suggestions? I know that are spendy but I do not mind spending the money to get something good. Also, I am new to this Forum thing so excuse any mistakes. I guess I also need help on the head. I have looked at Ries and Berlebach. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Vaughn
3-Jan-2011, 21:32
It is nice spending a little more money once, to get something that is good and that lasts! I have a Ries (pod and head) -- the larger model for 8x10 and bigger. A very fine piece of machinery...it has taken a lot of abuse (I tend to go off-trail most of the time). I highly recommend them.

Heroique
3-Jan-2011, 21:52
Like Vaughn, I have a Ries (J600) and Ries head (J250) that I love & that love me back.

The Ries site (http://riestripod.com/) shows technical specs in tables, so it’s easy to compare their products w/ each other – and w/ other nice tripods out there.

Oh yeah, their customer service might be the best in the tripod business, so give them a call w/ any questions. I think they take happy medicine all day, but their knowledgable help makes me think they never get drunk on it.

Scott Davis
4-Jan-2011, 05:23
As a devils advocate/alternate suggestion, the Berlebach tripods are quite nice and quite a bit less expensive than the Ries tripods. They also offer a feature that the Ries pods don't - they have the leveling ball option with either the column-less or columned tripods, which is very helpful if you have to set up on uneven ground.

Michael Graves
4-Jan-2011, 05:52
Like Scott, I'm a big fan of the Berlebach. I have the 2042 and the 3022. The 3022 with a Gitzo head weighs less than ten pounds and easily supports my Toyo 810M. The 2042 is about three pounds less and I've used it with my 5x7 Toyo, but it really shines with the 4x5 cameras. I tried a Zone VI and it wasn't for me. I had a chance to play with a Ries before I bought the first Berlebach and it was very nice. I don't know if it was just this particular tripod or not, but it did not have very smooth leg adjustment.

As a devils advocate/alternate suggestion, the Berlebach tripods are quite nice and quite a bit less expensive than the Ries tripods. They also offer a feature that the Ries pods don't - they have the leveling ball option with either the column-less or columned tripods, which is very helpful if you have to set up on uneven ground.

William McEwen
4-Jan-2011, 09:25
I use both of the Zone VI tripods -- the Lightweight for 27 years now, and the Standard for 19. Both seem determined to last forever.

Ries is also an excellent choice, and you can get them brand new. I use a Ries head for my 8x10 camera, and it's strong and well made. And yes, the customer service there is top notch.

R Mann
4-Jan-2011, 11:25
My choice is a Ries over a Berlebach ( I have owned both ) because the Ries has separate leg angle locks where the Berlebach has preset leg angles (or floating with no lock). Both are solid and would be a good choice. I have used the Zone VI once and it also is very solid, but intended to be used with leg end spikes set in the ground. Where the Ries and Berlebach have rubber legs for indoor use.

I also use the Ries head which I find a very solid design. I think the hardware & finish on the Ries is a little better than the others and their customer service is outstanding.

David Lindquist
4-Jan-2011, 11:41
I use an old Ries, equivalent to the current J series, with my Linhof and like it. Not a particularly rational consideration, but I really like the looks of my Master Technika 3000 mounted on a Ries. One consideration, when mounting the MT 3000 on the Ries Junior head, the front edge of the head interferes with dropping the bed to its maximum wide angle (4th notch) position. I fixed this problem by making a widget that raises the camera up a bit and moves the attachment point a bit forward. Since I'm an (amateur) home shop machinist, I actually welcomed this project.

The Berlebach looks like a nice tripod too, and the ball leveling feature looks like it would be nice to have. I had an old Bogen/Manfrotto ball leveler I mounted between my J-200 style head and tripod giving me about the same capability.

Of course with the Ries you'd have the rare opportunity to buy something nice that's still made in the USA.

Still looking for an excuse to buy a new Ries. You can never have too many wooden tripods.
David Lindquist

Vaughn
4-Jan-2011, 11:58
...I had a chance to play with a Ries before I bought the first Berlebach and it was very nice. I don't know if it was just this particular tripod or not, but it did not have very smooth leg adjustment.

Actually, my Ries is not perfect in this respect, but it is probably due to lack of maintenance these past 15 years, some good falls I have taken while scrambling over rocks, etc, and using it as a climbing aid. The legs also adjust easier when I leave this damp coast and head to the mountains. I think it just needs some attention -- and not the neglect it has been getting from me.

Vaughn

jp
4-Jan-2011, 14:12

I'm curious about this ball leveling thing. I went to their website for a look. It appears you could use this without a head (save weight and cost) if you didn't need massive angle adjustment? Is there a knob for tightening the screw on the ball level, or do you have to just spin a head onto a fixed screw?

Scott Davis
4-Jan-2011, 14:17
Yes, you can use it sans head if you only need minor leveling. I think like most tripods, you just spin the head on the screw until it locks tight.

bobwysiwyg
4-Jan-2011, 14:19
JP, I have a Berlebach which I really like. There is a knob threaded through a split collar that tightens the collar and secures the leveling ball. It also has a hook at the bottom. Hang your camera bag on it (or some other weighty object) and you have level. ;)