PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon-C 300mm ?

gliderbee
3-Jan-2011, 12:29
Ok, this time I'll ask before buying:

I understood this is a good quality lens. Is the Fujinon-C 300mm ok for a Shen-Hao with bellows extension from 75mm to 340mm ? And is 700 USD a reasonable price for a lens in excellent condition ?

I'm tempted because of the Copal 1 shutter; I don't want to drag a Copal 3 shutter with me for ..

Thanks,
Stefan.

ic-racer
3-Jan-2011, 14:29
You should be able to focus to about 2.7 meters.

$700 seems like a lot unless it is a recent production lens like this that is almost brand new : https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=174

Gem Singer
3-Jan-2011, 14:38
Stephan,

You should be able to purchase an equivalent Nikon/Nikkor f9 300M (in Copal1 shutter) for about $500.

$700 is high for a Fujinon f8.5 300C.

gliderbee
3-Jan-2011, 15:02
Ok, I'll be looking for either a "cheaper" Fujinon or the Nikon then.

Thanks !
Stefan.

SocalAstro
3-Jan-2011, 15:04
Ok, this time I'll ask before buying:

I understood this is a good quality lens. Is the Fujinon-C 300mm ok for a Shen-Hao with bellows extension from 75mm to 340mm ? And is 700 USD a reasonable price for a lens in excellent condition ?

I'm tempted because of the Copal 1 shutter; I don't want to drag a Copal 3 shutter with me for ..

Thanks,
Stefan.

Stefan,

I bought one recently from the classifieds here. I use it with my Shen-Hao 4x10 and it's quickly becoming my favorite "normal" lens. I love it's compactness especially with the Technika style lensboards.

As Gem said, the Nikkor can be had for less than $700 and I would have bought one but at the time there werent any on the used market (here or the auction site) so I snagged the Fujinon when it came up.

-Leon

Steve Hamley
4-Jan-2011, 02:44
You can also use a "tophat" board to focus a little closer if desired.

Cheers, Steve

gliderbee
4-Jan-2011, 03:07
You can also use a "tophat" board to focus a little closer if desired.

Cheers, Steve

Just thinking ... can a recessed lensboard be used for that, mounting the lens the other way around ? Never tried it, just thinking ...

Cheers,
Stefan.

Bob McCarthy
4-Jan-2011, 05:57
Just thinking ... can a recessed lensboard be used for that, mounting the lens the other way around ? Never tried it, just thinking ...

Cheers,
Stefan.

Usually not as there is baffling/reinforcing on the inner surface.

I've owned both lenses, (nikon and Fuji), both are tessars, though Fuji has one additional cemented surface. Both are in small shutters, not a #3.

Choose the one which has the best condition for the price, would be my suggestion.

Fuji only comes up a clear first when you shooting 8x10 and care more about image circle!

Bob

drew.saunders
4-Jan-2011, 14:12
I have a 300/8.5 C Fuji which I bought right when the Nikkor LF lenses were discontinued, so the Nikkor's were more expensive at the time. I used it with my Tachihara, which has about 10mm less bellows than your Shen Hao, and as long as my subject was more than 3m or so away, I didn't have any problems with the bellows extension or lack of movements.

The Fuji uses 283mm of bellows, while the Nikkor uses 290 (see http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html) so you get 7mm more forgiveness, which is a wee added bonus with shorter bellows. You should be able to focus the Fuji to under 2m with the Shen Hao and the Nikkor to just over 2m on the same camera, so it's not a huge difference.