PDA

View Full Version : Weston's Rocks - Victorville?

Steve Hamley
3-Jan-2011, 09:51
Folks,

O.K., just curious, but in reading the "California" Daybook Part 1, Weston mentions rocks he liked very much which were according to his host in Big Bear Lake, "just past Victorville". But he doesn't say on what road or which side of Victorville.

I've never seen an image he made from here. Does anyone know if these rocks still exist or have an image made there?

Have a great new year!

Cheers, Steve

Richard K.
3-Jan-2011, 10:41
And can I go through Victorville from Death Valley to Joshua Tree? :)

brianam
3-Jan-2011, 11:28
total guess: there are some wonderful uplifted rocks off of I-15 to the east of the San Bernardino mountains. They're not too dissimilar from the famous (think Star Trek) Vasquez Rocks near the 14.

They would be "just past Victorville" if you were traveling south on 15, at the 138 junction. perhaps those?

Ed Kelsey
3-Jan-2011, 12:02
Like there aren't enough rocks around so you need to find other peoples tripod holes?

Eric Rose
3-Jan-2011, 12:28
take a pill Ed.

Merg Ross
3-Jan-2011, 12:29
I can't give you the exact location, although I have seen several prints from the four day session he and Brett spent there in 1928. Prints do on occasion show up at auction, such as here: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4490192

It was Brett who introduced Edward to the rocks in the Mojave Desert, just as he had introduced Edward to the Oceano Dunes and Point Lobos. At the time, Edward considered the Mojave Desert rock series to be among his finest work.

Ed Kelsey
3-Jan-2011, 12:31
take a pill Ed.

Byte me

patrickjames
3-Jan-2011, 17:09
I reread the daybooks a few months ago and I was wondering where those rocks were too. If you have the reference to what you are talking about, preferably the chapter and date, I will reread it. Truth is, there are tons of rocks like he described. At the time I was thinking he was in Anza or near it, and I know pretty much where those places are, although I couldn't tell you his tripod holes, not that you would want them. I do know almost exactly where he photographed the dead man around the same time period, although I haven't specifically visited it. Anyway, if no one responds (including me), just pm me and I am sure I can help you figure it out.

Steve Hamley
4-Jan-2011, 04:18
It's in Chapter 7, "The Desert" near the end of part 1 of the California Daybook.

I'm a right-coast person, so the chances of me passing these rocks are essentially zero. I was just curious if they still existed or if they were bulldozed for a Wal-Mart. I think it would be neat to make an image or two there.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers, Steve

Bill_1856
4-Jan-2011, 08:07
Always remember that the desire to visit the scene of famous photographs is often just to see it, not necessarily to photograph it.

bobwysiwyg
4-Jan-2011, 08:30
Always remember that the desire to visit the scene of famous photographs is often just to see it, not necessarily to photograph it.

Yup, not everyone who wants to visit Gettysburg wants to rekindle the civil war. ;)

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2011, 08:55
Not meaning to hijack, but since we're discussing esoteric, legendary & obscure California desert locations, has anyone come across the Wild Celery Canyon?
I've been prospectin' fer that one fer years, dag nabbit!(Strokes his gray whiskers and slaps his knee as desert dust billows about the room)

patrickjames
4-Jan-2011, 14:21
Steve, it isn't really clear which way he was headed. My guess is he was going south which would line up with what Brian said above. There is no chance they were bulldozed.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the CCP Weston book some of the photographs are probably in it. I unfortunately sold mine when the price hit 10 times what I paid for it.

Richard K.
4-Jan-2011, 14:26
Steve, it isn't really clear which way he was headed. My guess is he was going south which would line up with what Brian said above. There is no chance they were bulldozed.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the CCP Weston book some of the photographs are probably in it. I unfortunately sold mine when the price hit 10 times what I paid for it.

Sigh, I sold mine at 7 times...

Jim Galli
4-Jan-2011, 14:35
Not meaning to hijack, but since we're discussing esoteric, legendary & obscure California desert locations, has anyone come across the Wild Celery Canyon?
I've been prospectin' fer that one fer years, dag nabbit!(Strokes his gray whiskers and slaps his knee as desert dust billows about the room)

Nope, but as kids we used to look at the map on the wall of a vacation place we stayed and laugh ourselves silly over jack ass butte which we of course interpreted as jackass butt.

Marko
4-Jan-2011, 20:33
total guess: there are some wonderful uplifted rocks off of I-15 to the east of the San Bernardino mountains. They're not too dissimilar from the famous (think Star Trek) Vasquez Rocks near the 14.

They would be "just past Victorville" if you were traveling south on 15, at the 138 junction. perhaps those?

Could that be the Mormon Rocks?

brianam
5-Jan-2011, 01:10
Marko: yes! those are the ones I was referencing. Found this image on flickr (not mine) that may help explain the attraction: http://bit.ly/ekngd6
and this one shows scale: http://bit.ly/ePR4vi

now whether these ones were the Weston studies the OP asked about, I don't know ;)

EdWorkman
5-Jan-2011, 11:09
Rocks of note near Victorville:
The Narrows of the Mojave River are just north and south of I 15, on the east side of Victorville
Mormon Rocks are just west of I 15 off Hwy 138, on the west side of Cajon Pass.
But these are BIG formations, not round rocks a la' the photo referenced.
Herb Sullivan, an orange rancher from Placentia, used a Speed to shoot trains in the Mmormon Rocks area up into the 40s. The operator at the Santa Fe depot at Summit pestered the NFS for years until it acknowledged his work by noting "Sullivan's Curve" on the maps.