PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Smith Gallery

Kirk Gittings
1-Jan-2011, 12:08
I was in the Andrew Smith Gallery in Santa Fe yesterday with friends from Chicago. I had not been there in a a few years (since they moved to the new location) and I realized what a great LF resource it is and that I don't go there nearly often enough. It is literally chock full of classic and lesser known LF images from Watkins, Adams and Weston to Laura Gilpin, Jody Foster, Caponigro and many more. I saw many lesser known Adams', Vroman's and others that I had never seen exhibited or published before were simply marvelous. I was stunned at how prices have increased of late for classic images. Andy was gracious as always to us gawkers.

There are never enough LF exhibits to satisfy my taste. Yet here is a perpetual one in my backyard that I rarely visit. If you are coming out this way be sure to see it.

Jan Pietrzak
1-Jan-2011, 12:19
Kirk,

I would have had wine and cheese at my house, along with a big pot of red sauce.
Hope all is fine and have a happy new year.

Jan Pietrzak

Bill_1856
1-Jan-2011, 12:44
Although it has been several years since I purchased anything there, and it was a great pleasure to work with them.
In particular, I got some work of a "local" photographer Miguel Gandert (sp?) which I continue to enjoy.

Bill_1856
1-Jan-2011, 12:47
I should have included the link in my previous post.
http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/miguelgandert/index.html

Jim Becia
1-Jan-2011, 12:58
I was there earlier this year and was given a nice viewing of all the Adams images along with Christopher Burkett's work. Seeing Burkett's work in person is certainly a feast for the eyes, specially if one likes color landscape work. Makes one wish they were adept at using Ilfochrome. And the associates there were extremely generous with their time. Jim Becia

al olson
1-Jan-2011, 14:12
I always stop by the Andrew Smith every time I visit Santa Fe. Indeed, they are very gracious to us lookers. I find O. Winston Link's photographs are stunning as well.

Kirk, you are correct about the prices. As I recall four or five years ago AA's Moonrise, Hernandez, NM was priced at $80K. I believe the current price is $250K. I cannot vouch that it is the same print so there may be other factors such as when it was printed, etc.

As I recall from their web site several years ago, they also had a gallery in NYC.

Another gallery that exhibits the more classic LF prints from time to time, along with their other art, is the Gerald (?) Peters Gallery. This is the only place where I have seen the work of Morley Baer. They also had an exhibit at one time of 20x24 Polaroids.

Robbie Shymanski
1-Jan-2011, 14:16
I was pretty knocked out when I was through there last last spring. Actually, it was a highlight of visiting Santa Fe.

Kirk Gittings
1-Jan-2011, 14:26
Kirk,

I would have had wine and cheese at my house, along with a big pot of red sauce.
Hope all is fine and have a happy new year.

Jan Pietrzak

I thought about you on the way up an would love to get together!

Kirk Gittings
1-Jan-2011, 14:28
Although it has been several years since I purchased anything there, and it was a great pleasure to work with them.
In particular, I got some work of a "local" photographer Miguel Gandert (sp?) which I continue to enjoy.

Miguel Gandert is an old friend-I just saw him at the grocery store on Christmas Eve. Though the vast majority of his work is not LF, I enjoy his work immensely.

russyoung
18-Jan-2011, 08:24
A couple of years ago, Andrew had a stunning, huge gum print by Steichen taken in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It defied current wisdom about gum prints in several ways. Andrew also has vintage Ansel Adams prints that are well worth studying.

Russ

Kerik Kouklis
18-Jan-2011, 10:38
It defied current wisdom about gum prints in several ways.

Russ

In what ways? Do tell!

patrickjames
18-Jan-2011, 18:08
I was there in 2009 when I assume they were in the process of moving since there were more prints leaning against the wall than on the wall. Images were literally everywhere. I was greeted with a "sorry about the mess, but feel free to take a look around." Very surprising to say the least.

I went hoping to see some of Gandert's work. I remember seeing in '95 in an edition of Luna Cornea and it left a lasting impression. If I ever have extra moolah, "Linda Elena, Talpa, NM, 1995" is on my list of prints to own. Here it is, but this is a lousy reproduction unfortunately. The original print is really beautiful.

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/images/gandert/MG_1144.jpg

Kirk Gittings
18-Jan-2011, 18:14
Patrick, I just saw Miguel at the local grocery store about two weeks ago. yes that is a wonderful print. I have seen it in a couple of exhibitions.

Bill_1856
18-Jan-2011, 18:43
Patrick, Gandert's prices don't see all that high (at least they weren't when I bought mine). You might consider buying a print on Layaway, which I what I've done for a small Clyde Butcher print. It's been over two years paying it off, but it will soon be mine!