PDA

View Full Version : Wisner Cameras

Sanjay Sen
1-Jan-2011, 00:57
Happy New Year!

(I apologize in advance if this has already been asked before, but a search did not yield the information I am looking for.)

What are the various models of Wisner cameras, and what is the difference between them? For instance, I've heard of the Traditional and Technical cameras, but what is the difference between them? What other models did he make?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Regards,
Sanjay

RichardRitter
1-Jan-2011, 04:58
The Technical had rear raise and fall. The Traditional did not. The Explore was made with aluminum hard wear and had a sliding front. Then there where the few odd balls he made with their own holders I have two in the shop to be worked on.

Gem Singer
1-Jan-2011, 07:13
In addition to rear rise, the Tech, had geared tilt on the rear standard.

William Whitaker
1-Jan-2011, 07:30
There were lots of models and variations. In addition to those already mentioned, there was the Pocket Expedition in 4x5 and 5x7, there was the Flight in 4x5. In ULF sizes there were letter suffixes like "N" and "P". In short, there were so many that to try to list them all would almost invariably leave some out. Try this link to view the old Wisner web pages: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://Wisner.com. That will probably be your best guide.

RichardRitter
1-Jan-2011, 07:38
In addition to rear rise, the Tech, had geared tilt on the rear standard.

Oh ah The parts should of been silver soldered fast. But Wisner soft soldered the parts on and they have been failing.

When I get Wisner cameras in with the geared movement I have started drilling , tapping and putting in Stainless Steel screws to help hold the parts together and not fail.

Robert Brummitt
1-Jan-2011, 09:22
Oh ah The parts should of been silver soldered fast. But Wisner soft soldered the parts on and they have been failing.

When I get Wisner cameras in with the geared movement I have started drilling , tapping and putting in Stainless Steel screws to help hold the parts together and not fail.

Oh-great! Something I need to look forward to? :confused: :confused:

I rarely used the geared movement. Just started to play with it after having the camera for 25 years.

R

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Jan-2011, 11:18
I never used the geared rear tilt much either. I've used a 4X5 TF regularly for almost a decade, and never had the solder fail. The Achille's heal of the Wisner cameras are the wood focusing rails; I've had mine break and have fixed them several times. Overall, if you can live with the shortcomings (can't use a lens wider than about 90 mm or so, 4X5 TF is quite a bit bulkier and heavier than other 4X5s), the 4X5 TF is a good solid workhorse camera.

Sanjay Sen
2-Jan-2011, 08:30
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences. It is much appreciated!