PDA

View Full Version : What Is Around Palm Springs

Richard K.
31-Dec-2010, 10:28
I'm spending a couple of days in Palm Sproings as part of my Death Valley / Joshua Tree trip. I'm there to do a little research on J. Smeaton Chase as well as photograph in the area. Any recommendations for photography? Thank you! :)

Richard M. Coda
31-Dec-2010, 10:57
I forget exactly how far it is (shouldn't be too far)... but Salton Sea is interesting.

Ed Kelsey
31-Dec-2010, 10:59
Salton Sea. Mojave National Preserve. Valley of Fire outside Las Vegas.

A great camera store is Camera West in Rancho Mirage.

Vaughn
31-Dec-2010, 11:39
Painted Canyon -- go through Mecca, cross over the canal and hang a left -- there are signs. Dirt road, and some sand as you get back in the canyon to the parking area for Painted Canyon itself. 4WD not required if you know how to drive on sand. (I just was there in a minivan -- well, it was a VW Eurovan, slightly better than the average minivan).

SW Rick
31-Dec-2010, 12:29
You're not too far from Anza Borrego State Park or Joshua Tree National Park, though you may already be "deserted-out" :) Right around Palm Springs are the Indian Canyons, owned by one of the local tribes but (AFAIK) available to the public.

You could also take the Aerial Tram up to the top of the mountain and experience a dramatic change of climate and flora/fauna.

Bob Salomon
31-Dec-2010, 12:42
If you need film or accessories be sure to see the new Cameras West store out there.

Jan Pedersen
31-Dec-2010, 12:55
Don't forget to buy a Date Shake at one of the stores in the Indio/Mecca area.
They are quite tasty .

Jan Pietrzak
1-Jan-2011, 11:53
RK,

Salton Sea,

Just a few things to see

Jan Pietrzak

Richard K.
1-Jan-2011, 12:20
Thanks guys!! Happy New Year...:)

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2011, 16:56
There is the tram to the top of the mountain with plenty of hikes "up" there. There's Shields Date Gardens for date shakes (and photo ops in the date groves) and Consuela's for magaritas to celebrate the end of the day.
Watch out for flash flooding this year.

Dan Dozer
7-Jan-2011, 19:47
What everyone said - except about the date shakes. Their very over rated. For palm trees, go the east end of the valley to Coachella/Thermal. Mario's for inexpensive good Italian food. By the way, I'm there in La Quinta (not that you would want to photograph me!) Want to stop by and print some neg's or compare prints?

Dan

Richard K.
7-Jan-2011, 22:15
Dan, if I'm in that Area I'll give you a call. PM me your cell number...

Stephane
8-Jan-2011, 05:53
Salvation Mountain (http://www.salvationmountain.us/) (slab city), strange place that is worth a visit.

Stephane
8-Jan-2011, 06:00
Davies Schrimpfs hydrothermal field near Calipatria (bubbling mud pots).
Latitude: 33.2
Longitude: -115.58

Not far, like 5 mn drive from there are weird scenes with dead trees in the salton sea next to an obsidian hill (volcanic glass)
Lat: 33.19
Long: -115.597

And of course there are some sticks in the water:
Lat: 33.20
Long: -115.597