PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Rental Death Valley

Richard K.
31-Dec-2010, 08:40
Has nayone here rented a Jeep in Death Valley? Are there others aside from Farabee's Jeep Rentals? Good experience? Thanks!

SocalAstro
31-Dec-2010, 10:03
Has nayone here rented a Jeep in Death Valley? Are there others aside from Farabee's Jeep Rentals? Good experience? Thanks!

Not sure about the specifics Richard, but I would advise making reservations ahead of time if possible as I saw folks driving them all over the place - they seemed to be a popular option for exploring some of the rougher roads.

I plan to go out again in the next couple of months - this last trip just wasn't enough :-)

Cheers,
Leon

Richard K.
31-Dec-2010, 10:09
I plan to go out again in the next couple of months - this last trip just wasn't enough :-)

Cheers,
Leon

Well if you're there between Feb 7 and 11, I'll buy you a coffee!!

Dave Jeffery
1-Jan-2011, 07:19
I would assume that most people would rent Jeeps in Las Vegas and do the two hour drive. There may be rentals closer in Pahrump which is about an hour closer.

The towns in Death Valley are tiny but there may be one or two at the Furnace Creek Inn or in Beatty, Nevada.

If you read up on Beatty, Nevada back when the nuclear testing was done a number of farmers refused to move. All the hair fell off the cows and some of the children died at a very young age if lukemia. The government workers told the farmers that their cow's milk was probably OK but that they would just exchange the milk for them just in case. Nice!

Where will you be travelling from to get to Death Valley?

As you probably already know the park is huge and it's good to have a well thought out travel plan. I decided to drive to see some of the charcoal kilns from Furnace creek and it took me three and a half to four hours to get there.

Lots of great things to see.

Jay Wolfe
1-Jan-2011, 08:48
I would assume that most people would rent Jeeps in Las Vegas and do the two hour drive. There may be rentals closer in Pahrump which is about an hour closer.

The towns in Death Valley are tiny but there may be one or two at the Furnace Creek Inn or in Beatty, Nevada.

If you read up on Beatty, Nevada back when the nuclear testing was done a number of farmers refused to move. All the hair fell off the cows and some of the children died at a very young age if lukemia. The government workers told the farmers that their cow's milk was probably OK but that they would just exchange the milk for them just in case. Nice!

Where will you be travelling from to get to Death Valley?

As you probably already know the park is huge and it's good to have a well thought out travel plan. I decided to drive to see some of the charcoal kilns from Furnace creek and it took me three and a half to four hours to get there.

Lots of great things to see.

Dave,

Please explain how hairless cows relates to renting Jeeps in Death Valley.

Richard K.
1-Jan-2011, 10:06
I could rent in Las Vegas but since there is an outlet in DV, I thought that would be more convenient as I contiunue to JTNP after a few days in DV, with my rental car. I just thought of renting a Jeep for a day to visit the Racetrack and drive through Titus Canyon. Alternatively, if anyone with Jeep wants to meet me for a day and drive me there, great! :)

Dave Jeffery
3-Jan-2011, 05:30
Jay -I appologize I should have marked the paragraph about the history of Beatty with an O.T. It is not my intention to upset anyone and I posted this late at night. I'm a terrible writer and poster so please forgive me and I'll try and explain it below but it is once again it's O.T. All the best for 2011 !!!

O.T. Many people that rent Jeeps do so in part to drive through Titus Canyon and the typical route from Las Vegas passes through the town of Beatty due to the entrance to Titus Canyon being one way, and starting from west of Beatty. When I Googled Beatty years ago I was shocked to learn of the history of the people that lived there during the nuclear testing and given how extremely unusual it was I thought I would pass on the information to others travelling to Death Valley.

O.T. The rocks on the road between where one exits the hole in the rock formation of Titus Canyon and Scotty's Castle Road are extremely sharp and cut large chunks out of tires at high speeds.

O.T. Brian - You may have done so already but make sure and look at the driving distances on a map to judge your travel time through Titus Canyon from Furnace Creek as it can be a little decieving and you won't be driving very quickly on the Titus Canyon Road. Also, if you are driving from Furnace Creek it can be easy to miss the turnoff onto the dirt road into Titus Canyon so a GPS may come in handy or know the distances on a map. There were no signs as of a year or so ago and there are no distinct natural markers and the Titus Canyon road is one way only. Typically there is a lot of fine dust on the dirt roads which rattles into some vehicles (especially at high speeds). I hope some of this is helpful for your trip.

I've never needed a Jeep or 4x4 for driving through Titus Canyon and a Jeep may not be needed if the road is in good condition as it usually is, but there has been some rain lately. If you don't travel to the Racetrack you may not need a Jeep. I don't know anything about Farrabee's rentals.

Once again sorry Jay for the O.T. post

Have Fun.

Dave Jeffery
3-Jan-2011, 05:54
So Farabees was only opened last April and I hadn't heard of it.

Note this from the rental site
"**** Mileage limited to 200 miles per day."

Brian -You may need a wrench for the speedometer cable : )

200 miles a day is easy to travel in DV and I'm not sure why there is that restriction? Furnace Creek to Badwater is 60 miles and from Furnace Creek through Titus Canyon back to Scotty's Castle road is not a short drive.

http://www.farabeesjeeprentals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80:death-valley-rental-rates&catid=35

Dave Jeffery
3-Jan-2011, 07:19
Brain - I you would like more information please PM me. I'll be in Shoshone and Badwater on Thursday and may make it up to Furnace Creek.

Richard K.
3-Jan-2011, 08:42
Brain - I you would like more information please PM me. I'll be in Shoshone and Badwater on Thursday and may make it up to Furnace Creek.

Dave, were the last 3 posts to me - Richard, the OP? Regardless, thank you for the good information! 200 miles a day is ridiculous and it seems you can't go over (no per mile charge) - you would need to pay for another day? If you DO go to Furnace Creek this Thursday, maybe you could ask for me? Thank you for your comments...:)

Michael Gordon
3-Jan-2011, 10:15
I've had tour/workshop clients rent from Farabee's. They report a great experience. Farabee's is the only game in DVNP.

RT to the Racetrack - including a side-drive down Titus Cyn - is less than 200 miles. I'd suggest that If you're planning to drive 200 miles or more per day in DVNP, you're going to regret the shallowness of that experience.

Drive less, walk more.

SocalAstro
3-Jan-2011, 10:36
200 miles a day is easy to travel in DV and I'm not sure why there is that restriction? Furnace Creek to Badwater is 60 miles and from Furnace Creek through Titus Canyon back to Scotty's Castle road is not a short drive.

Furnace Creek to Badwater Basin is less than 15 miles as I checked it with my GPS recently. Im planning on riding my bike from the campsite in FC to Badwater on a future trip and Im not in any shape to ride more than 20 miles without rest :-)

-Leon

Richard K.
3-Jan-2011, 10:38
I'd suggest that If you're planning to drive 200 miles or more per day in DVNP, you're going to regret the shallowness of that experience.

Drive less, walk more.

But how can one see the Racetrack otherwise (I'm staying in Furnace Creek)? Maybe I can camp overnight in the rented Jeep and catch the morning light before heading back?? Is that feasible? Thanks for thoughts...:)

Michael Gordon
3-Jan-2011, 12:53
But how can one see the Racetrack otherwise (I'm staying in Furnace Creek)? Maybe I can camp overnight in the rented Jeep and catch the morning light before heading back?? Is that feasible? Thanks for thoughts...:)

Yes, that's feasible and the only thing I recommend. You'd have to leave FC at a ridiculously early time to scout, compose, and shoot sunrise. Staying through sunset ensures a late return to FC. Camp there, take your time, and soak up the vibe of the Racetrack. It's a fantastic and cosmic place, and you won't feel it if your experience is a fleeting drive-by...

Richard K.
3-Jan-2011, 13:23
Yes, that's feasible and the only thing I recommend. You'd have to leave FC at a ridiculously early time to scout, compose, and shoot sunrise. Staying through sunset ensures a late return to FC. Camp there, take your time, and soak up the vibe of the Racetrack. It's a fantastic and cosmic place, and you won't feel it if your experience is a fleeting drive-by...

Thank you Michael. I am responding positively to your poetic evocation of place! If I "camp" (probably borrow a mattress to throw onto the folded back seat and trunk), then I could have a good evening and morning light there!! :) (as well as a scary overnight while the rocks scrape along!) :rolleyes:

bvaughn4
4-Jan-2011, 19:43
Richard, have you thought of getting a Jeep for your "rental car" for the entire trip? Grand Cherokee 4WD should be quite comfortable for the road, provide enough clearance for some of the moderately rough trails and save you the cost of two vehicles. Just a thought, may not fit in with your plans.

Vaughn
4-Jan-2011, 20:12
Furnace Creek to Badwater Basin is less than 15 miles as I checked it with my GPS recently. Im planning on riding my bike from the campsite in FC to Badwater on a future trip and Im not in any shape to ride more than 20 miles without rest :-)

-Leon

The last time I rode my bicycle in Death Valley, I started at the charcoal kilns up by Wildrose and headed down hill to Furnace Creek. All was good until I got to the junction past Stovepipe Wells. The up-valley winds all but stopped me! Fortunately, the person who took me up the the kilns and who was waiting for me at Furnace Creek, came and picked me up!

In such a wind that 15 miles from Furnace Creek to Badwater Basin would seem like riding up to Tioga Pass from Lee Vining!

Richard K.
4-Jan-2011, 20:25
Richard, have you thought of getting a Jeep for your "rental car" for the entire trip? Grand Cherokee 4WD should be quite comfortable for the road, provide enough clearance for some of the moderately rough trails and save you the cost of two vehicles. Just a thought, may not fit in with your plans.

D'OH! Why didn't I think of that?!? I'll look into it thank you. But I think they still don't like you going off road?

mentalcrisis00
4-Jan-2011, 22:04
Richard, what the rental company doesn't know can't hurt them. As long as you don't bottom out and total the undercarriage (very hard to do in a high clearance SUV) or bang up the outside panels in some of the canyons than you should be fine. I imagine the dust out there is pretty heavy wherever you go so I don't think the rental company can hold you responsible for the car coming back dirty. Although don't hold me to that some rental agencies are money sharks, if you're that concerned about it just take it for a quick wash before you return it. You can also pay an arm and a leg for insurance, that would cover any damages. The cost is generally high however if you intend to do a lot of off roading and expect to beat the snot out of the car the insurance would be less costly rather than paying for the repairs.

I'm going to DV this coming friday for a week and renting a Jeep Liberty at the Enterprise in Vegas. I reserved a few weeks ahead and they told me over the phone it'd only cost $320 for 9 days unlimited mileage. Reservations however don't guarantee the cost or even the vehicle, kind of dumb in my opinion.

Good luck with your trip!

-Ray

Richard K.
4-Jan-2011, 23:55
Thanks for the advice, Ray. I'll be renting and returning in Flagstaff (coming there by train from Chicago) but maybe they'll let me swap for a 4wd in Vegas if Flagstaff doesn't have one.

Could you report on your trip when you return? Thanks!! :)

Dave Jeffery
5-Jan-2011, 03:49
"Please explain how hairless cows relates to renting Jeeps in Death Valley."

"Buried in the fine print in the rental contract it says you cannot pick up hairless cows if they are hitch hiking."

Yes that's true but that's only if they need a ride further than 200 miles in a day.

mentalcrisis00
5-Jan-2011, 08:36
There's an Enterprise rental in Flagstaff as well you can check on rental cars and reserve one online or over the phone. They have unlimited mileage and I found they were cheaper than most other places. Unless you've already booked a vehicle with another agency. In any case it should a great adventure!

Richard K.
5-Jan-2011, 09:05
I booked with Enterprise in Flagstaff - they were quite a bit cheaper than Hertz, Avis Alamo etc. I booked a regular car but will call them today to see about a Jeep Cherokee but if they don't guarantee it?!?

Have a great trip!! Are you leaving Friday? Let me know how you make out and if you visit Racetrack etc.

mentalcrisis00
5-Jan-2011, 09:24
Ever see that episode of Seinfeld? "You know how to TAKE the reservation you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation." It states in their terms of use that "By making a reservation this does not guarantee the specific vehicle and prices may be subject to change on the day of pickup."

The best way to do it is when you talk to the person at the agency ask for their name. And then on the day you arrive if they give you trouble tell them that "so and so" said that you could have this vehicle at this price. It's not so much of a problem in the larger agencies like enterprise because they have huge lots usually and it's tough for them to run out of cars. There are also 4 enterprise lots in Vegas alone, and if they don't have the car at the lot I'm sure they will just call another lot to pick you up at that location.

I know that I called 3 weeks ago and the woman I talked to said I could have a Jeep Liberty for $320 for the week, I looked online yesterday and the price online has gone up to $450. So we'll see what happens when I get there. I'll definitely check in when I get back, I'm hoping to go to as many place as possible including racetrack and Eureka if I have time.

Richard K.
5-Jan-2011, 09:32
....I'll definitely check in when I get back, I'm hoping to go to as many place as possible including racetrack and Eureka if I have time.....

Excellent, I look forward to your report! Have a totally groovy time!

Richard Raymond
5-Jan-2011, 16:40
Ray,
The cost of everything is higher this week. The consumer electronics show (CES) is in town .. 100,000 plus folks with the show starting on Thursday. Hotel rates are higher now than they were New Years. Most will not be renting Jeeps but rentals will be less plentiful.
By the by, I should be over to DV on Saturday. Looks like a good weekend. Warmer weather predicted.
Ric

Fred L
5-Jan-2011, 19:34
For those who've camped at the Racetrack, is it a thick Thermarest or cot kind of camping ? All this chatter is making me itchy for a trip down there and even though it's still a long drive, SWMBO has friends in eastern New Mexico (Hidalgo) we can stay with.

Would love to know how the train trip goes Richard !

Fred

Richard K.
5-Jan-2011, 20:24
You should meet me at the Racetrack, Fred! I may even have a couple of Tim's © left over from the train trip. I have changed my rental from a standard car to a 4WD Jeep so if the roads are open I will go to the Racetrack and Point Aguereberry, etc. Still sussing out how to stay warm on the Track as I want to sleep in a bag (sleeping bag that is) in the vehicle and not worry about pitching a tent. :)

Fred L
5-Jan-2011, 20:30
When you going Richard ? :)

Would love to make the trip and I would have no argument from the boss on the home range either. Tenting would be great but bringing all that down would take up space in baggage. Be great if there was a solid 4wd van for rent, a Quigley rigged Sportsmobile would be the ticket.

Richard K.
5-Jan-2011, 20:58
Fred, I'll be in Death Valley Feb. 7-11 inclusive and then I go to Joshua Tree, Palm Springs and Scottsdale...train back from Flagstaff to Chicago etc. Feb. 20...

Seymour
9-Jan-2011, 09:03
Read the automobile rental contract carefully before you rent a vehicle with the intention of taking it offroad (on a non-paved road). The last time I tried to rent a vehicle in Arizona (for use in Monument Valley) the rental agreement clearly forbade off road use; this applies to all vehicles, not only 4wd. Ignore such a contract provision at your own risk..

mentalcrisis00
25-Jan-2011, 08:34
Richard, I got back from DV on the 15th and WOW what an experience. As far as the rental went I reserved and Jeep Liberty for $320 for 9 days in all. However when I got there they tried to rope me into a Chevy Tahoe for $1100!!!! They got me in the seat but I finally came to my senses and said no I need something smaller and less costly. They finally put me into a smaller Kia Sonata which was $250 for 9 days. This is the first time I had rented a car, went to DV, and my car insurance is not very good here at home. So I bought the insurance and road side assistance which cost an extra $300. So I ended up spending around $550 for the rental for 9 days. Which isn't bad, when I went to Florida with friends my buddy got roped into a 2 door ford focus for $600 for 6 days WITHOUT insurance.

Anyhow the rental was fine, my nephew and I slept in it for the week we were in DV and I was able to get a ton of digitals, video, and used up a 50 sheet box of trix and 10 sheets of color. I'll have my film up soon, I've been recovering (twisted my ankle and walked on it for 5 days) and we've been snowed in here for a week. Keep in mind that you might not have what you reserved when you get to the rental office. However my experience with Enterprise was good, but next time I won't get the insurance and definitely not the road side assistance. There is no cell reception in DV and there are plenty of Rangers riding around that can help for free. This was all unknown to me at the time. We actually had a dead battery at Ubehebe crater and a German gentleman drove me to a Ranger station and they had someone up there in an hour to jump me.

Good luck with your trip Rich!

-Ray

Richard K.
25-Jan-2011, 09:05
Thanks for the excellent report Ray! Did you get to the Racetrack? Please post photos if you can... :)

mentalcrisis00
25-Jan-2011, 11:03
Rich we did not make it to racetrack or eureka dunes like i had hoped. The gas station at scottys castle has been closed a long time so the nearest place to get gas is Stovepipe Wells about 45 minutes away. And it's another hour to racetrack and 2 hours or so to eureka, the roads are mostly washed out so it's 4WD only.

Also concerning gas DO NOT get it at furnace creek or Shoshone. It's $4.60 a gallon at either, go 20 minutes further to Stovepipe wells where it's $3.40. If you head threw Pahrump on your way in fill up on gas there because it's $2.99, same with vegas. If you want an interesting place to hit on your way in I'd recommend Tacopa hot springs, it's actually a better way to go than Pahrump because it's shorter and more scenic. Look at your map and you'll see Tacopa at the southern part just outside DV, take the Old Spanish Trail and you can stay at Tacopa for $16 a night and use the hotsprings as much as you like. Rose is the manager there and she's really nice and can give you alot of great suggestions for scenic places in the area.

On our DV trip we went from start to finish Vegas, Pahrump, Mount Perry, Zabriskies Point, Badwater Basin, Natural Bridge, Artists Palette, Stovepipe Wells, Mesquite Dunes, Titus Canyon, Ubehebe Crater, Tacopa Hot springs, China Ranch Date Farm, and then old Spanish Trail back to Vegas in 9 days. So it was a full trip. I have my best digital shots on my flickr page if you want to check it out. I can't get to the lab till this Friday and hopefully I can develop all my B&W in a day. So 4x5 stuff will have to wait till next week, I hope it all came out ok I was a bit concerned about the carryon xrays, but only went threw twice so should be fine.

Hope this helps you out a bit with your trip. My favorite place was Mesquite Dunes and the Hot Springs personally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14699106@N04/sets/72157625852573216/

PS: oh and if you intend to do 4x5 make sure you have a sturdy tripod, I was forced to bring my Benro travel angel because it had to fit in my checked bag. However the winds made it very hard to shoot over f22 most of the time, especially on mountain sides. I'm sure I lost a good chunk of my shots to blur but I have my fingers crossed. Next time I think I'll drive the entire way out there just so I can bring my heavy weight bogen tripod and tent.