PDA

View Full Version : I need a 4x loupe with a square base

vinny
30-Dec-2010, 11:55
I like the cheap Peak 8x I have but it's too strong. I like the rectangular base since most (if not all) of my cameras lack a round ground glass. Anything close to it out there in 4x?

okay, just found this one and I'll try it unless there's a good alternative.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40719-REG/Peak_1302038_4x_Loupe.html

Lachlan 717
30-Dec-2010, 12:27
Peak makes a less powerful, square based loupe (as you linked to).

I like mine; much easier to use than the 8x loupe I also have, both for power and for the square base!

SMBooth
30-Dec-2010, 18:37
I have one of those x4 Peak, its quite OK for my use

John Schneider
30-Dec-2010, 22:31
Rodenstock makes a 3x loupe with a reversible (black/clear) square base. It's made for viewing full 6x6 slides but works well IMO on a GG in spite of its low power, as the size of the view is huge. Unfortunately the price has increased 50% since I bought mine:(

vinny
31-Dec-2010, 15:05
thanks, I'll try the peak 4x.

Matus Kalisky
31-Dec-2010, 17:31
I have peak 8x and it is not too good (weak contrast and lots of distortion). I have also a Horizon 4x - great optics. The base is 50 x 50 mm (there is also 60 x60 version, but that would be too much). The loupe is rather large, but I like ti very much - sharp with good contrast. Quite cheap too (git in on eBay for about $30)

Nathan Potter
31-Dec-2010, 17:50
Hmmm, I have been at this business for a long time and have never come across a square loupe! What will a square loupe do that a round loupe can't. I assume you mean the barrel is square. Is the lens also square? Just curious.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Matus Kalisky
31-Dec-2010, 18:12
I guess that the reason for a square loupe is that it can be placed in the corner of the focusing screen ...

Leigh
31-Dec-2010, 21:29
I guess that the reason for a square loupe is that it can be placed in the corner of the focusing screen ...
So can a round loupe.

If the diameter of the round loupe equals the side length of the square one, the lens axis will be at exactly the same point on the focusing screen for either type.

Happy New Year.

- Leigh