PDA

View Full Version : Symmar-S 5.6 worth repairing shutter?

zcary
30-Dec-2010, 03:59
I have a Linhof branded Symmar-S 150 5.6 with a broken compur 0 shutter.

The shutter stopped working for anything but bulb, and my question is - is it worth repairing or getting a new shutter? Or should i just try to sell the lens so someone handy and buy a "new" one?

Or could someone point out somewhere that does service in Sweden?

Keith Tapscott.
30-Dec-2010, 04:39
I have a Linhof branded Symmar-S 150 5.6 with a broken compur 0 shutter.

The shutter stopped working for anything but bulb, and my question is - is it worth repairing or getting a new shutter? Or should i just try to sell the lens so someone handy and buy a "new" one?

Or could someone point out somewhere that does service in Sweden?It might be worthwhile, but I have read a thread that mentions a price increase for new lens shutters in the UK.
I don't know if the price increases will affect where you live.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3595

dave_whatever
30-Dec-2010, 05:24
You might be able to find a similar symmar with a good shutter but bad glass and just swap them over, would probably be the cheapest option.0

zcary
30-Dec-2010, 05:34
Thanks for the replies.

I found one place that might be able to repair it for me. I havent got any price yet, but it would be interesting to know about how much a full functioning lens like this might be worth?

I dont want to spend more than it would cost me to get a used full working similar lens.

Tom Monego
30-Dec-2010, 07:25
I'd fix it, the Linhof name on the shutter adds a little value to the lens, worth keeping it. Selling it broken always greatly devalues any product, not a great option. This is a good modern lens worth keeping or if that is not your style, sell it repaired, it will be worth a lot more.

Tom

cdholden
30-Dec-2010, 07:34
or just use it on B, for slower exposures

Jack Dahlgren
30-Dec-2010, 10:16
If it is not multi-coated then prices range from about 100-300 $US.
Multi-coated would up it by $US 50-100 or so.

If you like the lens, then it is worth spending up to about half the price of the lens to fix it, as then you can rely on it. Selling and buying a new one will take time and money and you still may end up with a shutter that needs maintenance.

If you don't like the lens, then sell it as is.

zcary
30-Dec-2010, 12:29
Thanks!

It is multi-coated, and I like it, or did anyway :-)
Optical its in perfect condition, so it would be a real shame to just let it go.

Will have it looked at and see what the repairing cost would be.

If it is not multi-coated then prices range from about 100-300 $US.
Multi-coated would up it by $US 50-100 or so.

If you like the lens, then it is worth spending up to about half the price of the lens to fix it, as then you can rely on it. Selling and buying a new one will take time and money and you still may end up with a shutter that needs maintenance.

If you don't like the lens, then sell it as is.

al olson
30-Dec-2010, 14:47
I had a similar problem with a lens that I sent to Carol Flutot. I was expecting to be billed for $100 or more. Instead she told me that what happened was a small nut came loose. She repaired the shutter and retimed it for a fraction of the cost.

engl
31-Dec-2010, 22:22
There is a store called "Kamerateknik service" in Malmö that might be able to repair your shutter, I'd give them a call.

http://www.kamerateknik.m.se/