PDA

View Full Version : Shutter for Wolly Ext. W.A. f/12.5 6 1/4 inches

cyberjunkie
28-Dec-2010, 23:22
After being outbidden countless times, i have found an original way to get a Wollensak 6 1/4" wide-angle for 8x10.
Whichever the version, f/9.5 or f/12.5, coated or uncoated, all the auctions i have followed reached high aggiudication prices.
Somebody on this forum suggested that the repeated advices, and the opinion of many satisfied owners, have driven up the prices. Of course barrel lenses should be quite cheaper, but i have seen very few of them on sale... until i found a badly described Kodak 2D 5x7, sold with a Wolly Ex.W.A. in barrel. The pictures were even worse than the description, but the lens was there! :D
The Kodak 2D 5x7 came as a plus, i will make good use of it, when the bulk/weight of the 8x10 would be a little too much.

While waiting for the parcel, i was struck by a simple truth: i hadn't asked in advance on the forum if the lens cells fitted in barrel are identical to those that were originally fitted in shutter!
Somewhere i have an old Betax No.3 shutter (black, auto-setting, with speeds from 1/2 to 1/50 plus B, T). I have seen an early version of the lens mounted in the same shutter; the beauty ring sported the same inscriptions (Series IIIA, Ex.W.A.), so i suppose that the lens should be of the same vintage as mine.
I based my purchase decision on these infos, but i didn't make sure about effective compatibility.
Did i do the right choice?

The lens serial is barely visible in the picture, looks to be something like 207xxx.
What's the production year?

have fun

CJ

Mark Sawyer
28-Dec-2010, 23:39
The lens came in Betax, Alphax, and Rapax shutters, and I don't know if they're all the same size or not. You should also check the front-to-rear dimension in the barrel, and make sure it stays the same in the shutter.

But yep, they're great little lenses!

Steven Tribe
29-Dec-2010, 03:27
I think you are in the clear! This was sold in a period with lots of "swapping" going on!
The betax was the most common option for the EWA Wollensak and other Wollensak offerings. I can't imagine that they would offer Betaxes with different threads and cell fitting differences.