PDA

View Full Version : Parts for Korona View 8x10

cyberjunkie
28-Dec-2010, 16:31
I found this "project" camera on Ebay. The price was cheap enough, so i placed my bid and eventually won it.
It's a Korona View 8x10. There was practically no description, it was just specified that the bellows should be replaced.
I am still waiting for the parcel, but i would be happy to get some informations by those familiar with this camera.
What i need the most is to understand what's missing: of course the bellows need replacing, and the back is missing... but that's exactly why i purchased the camera in the first place :D
The back will be adapted from a wooden 8x10 to 5x7 Ansco's, and the bellows will be my first DIY attempt at making one.
From the pictures i don't understand how the bottom of the camera originally was.
A metal rail can be seen on the bottom, like something is missing there. Even the bed (separated from the camera) apparently has no obvious place there: on the front i can't see the holes from the fixing screw, but the rail probably was placed on the front, as i can see the hinges. I don't think it's an extension rail, to be fitted on the back, as i can see no attachment for it.

If somebody knows the camera, please share your infos.
Thanks

P.S.
If i find a way to restore the camera to its full functionality, i'd be happy to buy a suitable 8x1'" back and replacement bellows on the Forum.

have fun

CJ

Richard Rankin
28-Dec-2010, 16:41
Did you only get those 2 chunks? Looks to me like you have the front & rear standard held together by the bellows, and the extension rail. The back is missing but it also appears that the 'main' rail which is a hinged section of two pieces, is missing. That is where the front standard and rear normally sit unless you add the extension rail at the end and roll the rear standard out onto it for extension.

Richard

Louis Pacilla
28-Dec-2010, 17:28
Hi CJ

You have the front rail & the hinge but looks like your missing the mid section with female thread for attaching to tripod.

It should set up lust like a Century #1 or Seneca Improved or any other camera that uses a two part rail system.

You can run both standards on the front piece of rail. This way you can stand the camera up & even use it with wide lenses. You would have to add a female thread or use a platform.

You could make the missing parts but plenty Korona views out there. so you may be able to find the missing parts on eBay for little money. Of course you may have to be patient & that sucks:mad:

Great camera. I have one that was used as color camera Years ago & as a result it has a metal platform & side arm braces for the rear standard & its like a TANK.
The Korona View has somewhere around 30" of bellows at full extension as I recall. I'll get her out later & & take measurements if you need them.

I also have a friend who is in the middle of a full restoration. He may have somethings to share with you. I think his will be like new when hes through with it.

Hope this helps a little

Peace
Louis

Richard Rankin
28-Dec-2010, 18:00
Yep, Louis is correct - I see the hinge now. You can see some photos of various Korona cameras here http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/gund.htm to see what else you might need.

I've had a couple of Koronas and they are terrific cameras.

Richard

cyberjunkie
28-Dec-2010, 22:19
I have done an image search on Google.
Definitely the camera is missing the base block.
Having the front rail as a model, it shouldn't be so difficult to build one that's very close to the original. The inge is attached to the rail, and the tripod bushing is easy to find. The only BIG problem is with the two racks. Do you know of any possible source?
I suppose that a very good machinist should be able to make them, having the sample from the rail, but i guess that it wouldn't be economic.
If the racks are made in brass, it should be even possible to make them with a simple router for metalwork, and a micrometric traslation table. Unfortunately the racks of the base block are the most used (in most cases the focusing is done at the back), so a wobbly rack/pinion assembly would be a real nuisance!
If somebody is willing to help, i'd be very grateful: i need a couple of close-up pictures, and the exact measures of the base. 8x10 version, please.
Any info about the availability of metal racks would be very welcomed.

Last thought:
are backs and extension rails interchangeable between different versions of Gundlach/Korona View cameras?

I do this kind of stuff for personal pleasure, but i like to do everything at my best, trying to get the best possible results.
Unfortunately i live on the other side of the pond, so i have very little access to parts/informations for old americal wooden cameras.
I would really appreciate if some nice soul is willing to share a few small "secrets" with me.

have fun

CJ

ic-racer
28-Dec-2010, 22:25
This was my experience restoring a Century in similar condition.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29267&highlight=century

cyberjunkie
29-Dec-2010, 23:02
This was my experience restoring a Century in similar condition.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29267&highlight=century

Thanks for the link.
I am reading the thread now. Very instructive.

The good thing about my restoration project is that i have a friend who's very good at restoring old furniture. He will help me rebuilding the base block and the back rail.
The bad thing is that both parts need brass racks, and i am afraid that i will be very difficult to find ready-made rack bars in Italy, cause it's very likely that the original racks were non-metric. I think that it would be quite difficult to find small non-metric racks made in brass. Of course i wouldn't mind the aesthetic mismatch caused by nylon, teflon, or iron racks, but i guess that finding the right dimension would be the major obstacle.

have fun

CJ

ic-racer
30-Dec-2010, 00:27
I think that it would be quite difficult to find small non-metric racks made in brass. Of course i wouldn't mind the aesthetic mismatch caused by nylon, teflon, or iron racks, but i guess that finding the right dimension would be the major obstacle.

have fun

CJ

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gears/=ad9hu2

If that link does not show correctly, go to catalog page 1056 for gears and racks.

Doug Howk
30-Dec-2010, 05:02
Tracks can also be picked up thru ePrey looking for rear extension rails. I've picked up a couple of rails that didn't exactly match my Koronas (2), but was able to use them for parts.

vpwphoto
10-Mar-2011, 14:54
I am looking for rear rail for my 5x7 Seneca Camera City View.
vincent@vincentseye.com

Graybeard
10-Mar-2011, 15:13
I have done an image search on Google.
Definitely the camera is missing the base block.
Having the front rail as a model, it shouldn't be so difficult to build one that's very close to the original. The inge is attached to the rail, and the tripod bushing is easy to find. The only BIG problem is with the two racks. Do you know of any possible source?
I suppose that a very good machinist should be able to make them, having the sample from the rail, but i guess that it wouldn't be economic.
If the racks are made in brass, it should be even possible to make them with a simple router for metalwork, and a micrometric traslation table. Unfortunately the racks of the base block are the most used (in most cases the focusing is done at the back), so a wobbly rack/pinion assembly would be a real nuisance!
If somebody is willing to help, i'd be very grateful: i need a couple of close-up pictures, and the exact measures of the base. 8x10 version, please.
Any info about the availability of metal racks would be very welcomed.

Last thought:
are backs and extension rails interchangeable between different versions of Gundlach/Korona View cameras?

I do this kind of stuff for personal pleasure, but i like to do everything at my best, trying to get the best possible results.
Unfortunately i live on the other side of the pond, so i have very little access to parts/informations for old americal wooden cameras.
I would really appreciate if some nice soul is willing to share a few small "secrets" with me.

have fun

CJ

Regarding the rails, look in the McMaster-Carr web catalog. They offer rails (racks) and rack gears at far less than it would cost to have them custom-machined.