PDA

View Full Version : which Linhof model is it

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 11:33
Hi everybody.

I could buy this Linhof Technika with 3 Schneider objectives.

Can anybody confirm it is a model IV ?

From the picture, do you think it is worth buying ?

What would be a reasonable price with the 3 Schneider objectives (1:4,5/15 cm 1:8/90 1:5,5/270 ) and two Super Rollex 56 x 72 ?

Thanks.

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 11:47
It is a Technika IV, but we'd need more info and the price to advise anything more.

In good condition an outfit like that might sell in the $1500 to $2000 range (although most sellers foolishly would expect more).

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 11:55
Thanks a lot.

I can't get many more infos.

The woman is selling the camera that belonged to her passed father-in-law.

He used to be a professionnal photographer established in 1953.

But I think the camera has been bought around 1956.

Does this model has leather on or is simply painted (grey) ?

The serial number is 75xxx.

al olson
28-Dec-2010, 13:04
By my vision, it looks like the covering is brown, somewhat darker than the normal beige. This could be due to the aging of the leatherette or just because it is a dark photograph. The normal beige leatherette covering is more like a pinkish tan.

I am not certain if it becomes pink with age or that was the original color. Any way you look at it, it is an ugly color. I replaced my covering with precut leather from Camera Leather. It was worth the modest cost.

Frank is right. With 3 lenses and 2 roll film holders I would consider slightly under $2000 to be fair. An important point with regard to the value of the lenses, does the camera also have the focusing cams with serial numbers matched to the camera and to the lens?

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 13:09
Usually they have a beige tan leather glued onto the cast Aluminum body, with some red-painted trim on the front standard.

Cameraleather.com sells a new, self-adhesive black covering that works very well, it improves the cosmetics a lot because the original covering looks pretty shabby after 50 years.

Well if you can't get more information then it's a larger risk. I wouldn't bother myself unless it was very inexpensive. About $500 is about what it all would be worth if it is well-used and partially broken or gummed up after sitting for years. Good luck because some people see other Linhof cameras selling for thousands so they don't understand the factors influencing price.

If the glass is unscratched and without fungus, then cleaning and adjusting the lens and shutters might cost about $150 each. Sometimes a fungus can grow on the glass and ruin the lens. A new bellows is $350. Cleaning and adjusting the camera could be $100 to $300, the backs $100 each. You could easily spend over $1000 getting the camera back into working order, so $500 is not an unreasonable offer to someone who is unwilling to allow you to inspect the goods firsthand.

In good order, the camera is still a desirable and very usable piece. The Super Rollex backs are the best made. And the lenses, while older and single coated, are - if in good shape - still very sharp and with a pleasing rendering. The telescoping finder is not as nice as the later zooming models but still of value.

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 13:10
Thank you for these informations.

The woman told me the camera was painted metal (grey). Could the leather have been removed ?

I will ask her for the serial numbers.

seabird
28-Dec-2010, 13:11
Just to add to what Frank has said: It appears to be a late model IV given the serial number and shape of the top of the RF housing.

Tech IVs usually came with tan leather. A good test of condition is whether all the pieces are still there as they have a habit of falling off...

Sorry cant help with price.

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 13:22
Thanks seabird.

I guess being a late model is a good point...

What questions could I ask the woman ?

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 13:29
http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

Study the web about the Technika IV and ask her for more and larger photos. Also if anything is loose, when it was last used, etc;

The rear focusing hood usually is in rough shape with the leather sides ripping. Otherwise it is a matter of common sense, does everything move smoothly and lock securely?

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 13:42
Thanks a lot.

I can't get many more infos.

The woman is selling the camera that belonged to her passed father-in-law.

He used to be a professionnal photographer established in 1953.

But I think the camera has been bought around 1956.

Does this model has leather on or is simply painted (grey) ?

The serial number is 75xxx.
It is a Super Technika IV from about 1960, Be aware. Some IV models no longer have repair parts should something break. You can contact Linhof service to see if that is the case with this one. 652 252-4401. In any case it is probably in need of a proper CLA so they can also advise you on that.

That particular camera is part of a series made from Oct. 1956 to May of 63. Your number would be closer to 1960 then 56 which were much lower numbers.

al olson
28-Dec-2010, 13:45
Be sure to check on the cams. There should be one for each lens with serial number and camera serial number engraved, if the owner bought them. These are little flat pieces of metal that have grooves machined into them at one end and a machined edge to match the optical characteristics of the lens.

I am guessing that the owner would have had cams for the lenses because it is a rangefinder camera with the optical viewfinder. He likely used it at times as a hand held camera. From that era it would not have been unusual for him to have been doing some press photography. There might be one located in the camera bed. The others she may have to search out.

I would also ask about what she means by 'painted.' Does this mean that there is no covering on the camera now? Is it bare metal? Or is it paint on metal? The photo seems to indicate that it has the original leatherette. Certainly no one would paint the leatherette silver. Would they?

Is it in a location where you can inspect it? Test the shutters at all speeds to see if they are reasonable, or do they stick? They won't be accurate. They never are. But they should be close.

Does it have infinity stops for each lens. In addition, are there focusing scales on the edge of the camera bed? Are there any other film holders (double sided) that come with the camera.

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 13:49
Thank you Bob. It's a good idea to contact Linhof.
I'll try to do it soon.

Is the Model V more reliable or easier to maintain ?

Brian Ellis
28-Dec-2010, 14:34
It's very unusual these days to find a Tech IV that also has lenses and cams with matching serial numbers. Plus the cams are unimportant unless you plan to use the rangefinder, which most Technika owners don't do, they use the ground glass instead. I also wouldn't worry about infinity stops or distance scales, these too are primarily for use with the rangefinder and are unimportant to you unless you expect to be using the rangefinder.

I wouldn't buy a camera like this sight unseen from someone like the woman with whom you're dealing, who apparently knows nothing about the camera and isn't going to be able to answer any questions or provide any information. It's not a good way to buy any camera but particularly a Tech IV. Repairs to Technikas tend to be expensive and parts availability could be a real issue with a Tech IV if it needs repairs. I believe the only cameras for which Linhof still makes parts available are the Master Technikas, not the Tech Vs and earlier versions.

tweenkle
28-Dec-2010, 14:44
Thank you Al and Brian.

The camera is several hundred miles from where I live and the woman know very little about it. If you where me, what choice will you do between :

- this camera with the 3 lenses (and a few unanswered questions) at about 1500 $
- a model V with only a symmar s 150 / 5.6 in very fine condition and recently used by a pro who asserts it works very well at 1200 $
- a beautiful master classic also with the same symmar lense and a grip, like new, at 3000 $ ?

Thanks

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 14:58
It's very unusual these days to find a Tech IV that also has lenses and cams with matching serial numbers. Plus the cams are unimportant unless you plan to use the rangefinder, which most Technika owners don't do, they use the ground glass instead. I also wouldn't worry about infinity stops or distance scales, these too are primarily for use with the rangefinder and are unimportant to you unless you expect to be using the rangefinder.

I wouldn't buy a camera like this sight unseen from someone like the woman with whom you're dealing, who apparently knows nothing about the camera and isn't going to be able to answer any questions or provide any information. It's not a good way to buy any camera but particularly a Tech IV. Repairs to Technikas tend to be expensive and parts availability could be a real issue with a Tech IV if it needs repairs. I believe the only cameras for which Linhof still makes parts available are the Master Technikas, not the Tech Vs and earlier versions.

Some IVs and Vs still have parts. Some Masters do not, depending on the part. The Master was introduced in 1973 so an old Master could have been used longer then many other camera brands have been made!

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 15:04
Thank you Al and Brian.

The camera is several hundred miles from where I live and the woman know very little about it. If you where me, what choice will you do between :

- this camera with the 3 lenses (and a few unanswered questions) at about 1500 $
- a model V with only a symmar s 150 / 5.6 in very fine condition and recently used by a pro who asserts it works very well at 1200 $
- a beautiful master classic also with the same symmar lense and a grip, like new, at 3000 $ ?

Thanks

I think there is a lot of embellishment with descriptions. A like new more then 20 year old camera could mean that it is going to need service. To be like new after that many years it has not been used very much. Lubricants dry up, bellows can dry out, etc.. So take selling descriptions with a large grain of salt from people you don't know.

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 15:49
Bob is right again, even a Master can be close to 30 years old and the bellows dried out, the chassis in need of alignment and lube, etc.

Not saying those aren't good deals but you have to get all the details, good images, know the seller's reputation and rights of return. I certainly know that $1500 on an unknown IV is more than I would do.

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 16:25
Bob is right again, even a Master can be close to 30 years old

Frank,

Next year is the 38th anniversary of the first Master! Possibly older then many participants on the forum!
But then again, my wife and I will celebrate our 48th anniversary this year so maybe 38 years isn't all that long ago!

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 16:47
It's a testament to it being a good design, like the Deardorff, Leica, Rollei, etc. to be so long lasting with only incremental changes.

I doubt we'll be seeing any 38-year-old Canon or Nikon DSLRs other than in museums....

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2010, 23:52
Why not buy Craig's Technika? It's priced right and he is a good seller.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=70400