PDA

View Full Version : First post

Peter De Smidt
28-Dec-2010, 10:21
Andrew, it's a nice start.

Sirius Glass
1-Jan-2011, 19:37
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum.

Steve

mikebarger
1-Jan-2011, 19:44
Welcome, and great start!

Randy
2-Jan-2011, 06:35
Careful Andrew. I'm new here also and I posted an image made with 6X9 in the "churches" thread and it vanished. I don't know if it was deleted or moved...?

Ralph Barker
2-Jan-2011, 11:02
Non-LF images generally get moved to The Lounge, where it's OK to post them.

CarstenW
2-Jan-2011, 11:28
...where "LF image" has nothing to do with size, but with the camera used. Hence a 6x17 cropped from a larger image created with an LF camera is fine, but the same image taken with a 6x17 camera is not allowed.

Lachlan 717
2-Jan-2011, 13:44
...where "LF image" has nothing to do with size, but with the camera used. Hence a 6x17 cropped from a larger image created with an LF camera is fine, but the same image taken with a 6x17 camera is not allowed.

Not true; as long as the 6x17 was a "view" camera (rather than a point'n'shoot Technorama/Fotoman/Gaoersi/DaYi style), they are fine.

KenHipkins
2-Jan-2011, 16:11
What about photographs taken with a LF camera, but with a Hasseblad body muckled onto the rear standard?

Randy
2-Jan-2011, 17:49
Not true; as long as the 6x17 was a "view" camera (rather than a point'n'shoot Technorama/Fotoman/Gaoersi/DaYi style), they are fine.

But what if I use my Mini Crown Graphic, which is a view camera just like it's big brother, the 4X5 Crown Graphic, but it uses a 120 film back or 2X3 film holders and makes a 6X9 negs?

If I shoot with my 120 role film back on my Shen Hao 4X5, do the resulting images qualify as large format?

I'm not complaining. Just need to find out the rules. I just don't want to waste mine and the moderators time posting a picture that will have to be moved.

rdenney
3-Jan-2011, 06:26
People get so wound around the axle on rules.

Generally, my reading of the guidelines followed by the moderators is that if you post a picture that was made in a large-format camera, it will be acceptable. "Large-format camera" is any camera that can normally take 4x5 or larger sheet film, as routinely accepted by the moderators. Even if those cameras are used with roll-film holders or digital backs, these have been considered acceptable.

But in addition to the rules, there are also sensitivities. Right now, several who have shown pictures of 6x17 roll-film images have had their feelings hurt by some moderator actions that offended them. So, if you ask about 6x17, no matter what camera you use, you will be poking a stick into a soft spot. The emotions aroused by such discussions have not made it any easier for the moderators to come to an equitable solution to that issue.

And if you post images made on film smaller than 6x12, even if you made them using a view camera, you might also be challenging the sensitivities of the forum, even if they are left in place by the moderators.

I have posted 6x12 images made using a 4x5 view camera because they present all the same challenges as using sheet film, and more challenges than using some sheet film packaging, such as Quickloads. Thus, what I have to know and what insights I gain are relevant to the forum. But that still annoys a few folks, and I don't use a pointed stick when doing it. I do not post 6x9 and smaller in the regular forum, even if I use a roll-film holder in the Sinar, and even if the moderators would accept it.

Rick "thinking that any statement of rules are a bit of a red flag for many" Denney

Randy
3-Jan-2011, 06:47
Perhaps the easiest method of determining "large format" would be surface area. If it is less than 120 square centimeters, it isn't "large".

Vaughn
3-Jan-2011, 06:54
But what if I use my Mini Crown Graphic, which is a view camera just like it's big brother, the 4X5 Crown Graphic, but it uses a 120 film back or 2X3 film holders and makes a 6X9 negs?

If I shoot with my 120 role film back on my Shen Hao 4X5, do the resulting images qualify as large format?

Generally, yes to both. The guidelines call for images made with view cameras, as opposed to dedicated roll film cameras. There are areas of gray and some exceptions are made...such as Speed/Crown Graphic cameras (they are press cameras rather than typical view cameras) in various sizes, and the use of roll backs and digital backs on view cameras.. Both of your examples would be allowable exceptions. Exceptions are just not made for dedicated roll film cameras.

I have posted a few images taken with a 6x9 roll back on a 4x5 camera, it is the only color "LF" work I do -- but I always identify the images as such. I use the roll back on the 4x5 to take advantage of the movements of the view camera...otherwise I use a Rollei TLR camera for color.

Randy -- the criteria is camera based, not based on film size.

Randy
3-Jan-2011, 09:29
Randy -- the criteria is camera based, not based on film size.

Makes sense. Thanks Vaughn.