PDA

View Full Version : Optimo No. 2 Shutter

Nathan Smith
27-Dec-2010, 19:11
I recently purchased a 7" Goerz Dagor in an Optimo 2 shutter and am hoping that the lens can be used in its current shutter before finding a new one for it.

The Optimo does work as far as I can tell: one button sets the shutter, the other releases it, and the shutter speed dial does seem to affect the speed. But there are 2 holes in the bottom, at about the 5:00 & 7:00 positions, that I'm not sure of.

I have a copy of the old Inter-Lens manual, which shows an Optimo 1a shutter. The 1a has only 1 of the 2 bits at the bottom (5:00) and describes it as a "retarding pump".

You can see an online copy of this book here btw:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/inter-lenses_shutters/inter-lenses_shutters.htm

So, finally to my questions:
1. Does anyone have any insight into the workings of the Optimo No. 2?
2. Will this work ok without the missing bits?
3. Anyone have a dead Optimo No. 2 for parts?

Thanks,
Nathan

Two23
27-Dec-2010, 21:40
I have an Optimo No. 1 on my Kodak Special No. 1folding 6x9 camera, made in 1914. It's pneumatic. I had it completely CLA last month. Ken Ruth, the technician, said they really can't be adjusted but he did document actual shutter speeds. The shutter is pretty cool but not as accurate as the mechanical Compur/Deval that replaced them. You could email Ken Ruth about them, Bald Mountain Photography.

Kent in SD

DanK
28-Dec-2010, 06:52
I have a rough No4 Optimo that looks to be a remount for a 12" Dagor...

Appears similar to your No2 - on the bottom, the lower pin left has the cable release, the lower right doesn't do anything...

See photos...

Mine is quite rough, and really only has three working speeds - 1 sec, 1/30 sec, and the "B" only works with the cable release....(although none of these speeds work where they are marked on my shutter - B works on T, 1 sec is on 1/5, and 1/30 is at 1/25 - every other position is unreliable at best)...but works fine for what I do...

Thanks,
Dan

Nathan Smith
28-Dec-2010, 07:24
Kent, thanks for the Bald Mountain connection. That may come in handy.

Dan, excellent shots of the #4 - that answers at least half of the question. Now I'm really curious about the pin on the right, seems like there must be SOME purpose to it. I'll let you know if I find out. There's not a lot of info available for these shutters though.

E. von Hoegh
28-Dec-2010, 08:45
The excrescence on the lower right is the piston/cylinder assembly that "governs" the speeds. This needs to be very clean and oil free for the shutter to work at all reliably.

goamules
28-Dec-2010, 09:19
Yeah, like Mr. Hoegh says. The extension on the lower right contains a piston, like on a Volute. Though it looks like a tube can go on it, it was just decorative. If you are missing that, I'd say the shutter will only work at one speed.

Normally these are great shutters, and were the top of the line for many years. I've had several, and if they have all their parts they usually work at all speeds. An experience not shared by their replacement, the Betax. Perhaps they were not as accurate though, it is an early, pneumatic design.

Here are another that I have, with a Turner Reich lens.

Jim Galli
28-Dec-2010, 09:30
The Optimo achieved higher speeds than it's brethren by the idea the the blades would only go one direction at a time and not have to be slowed by both opening and closing. Set it once and they flip cw. Next time they flip ccw. etc. But the trouble I've experienced is that one way seems always slower than the other.

goamules
28-Dec-2010, 09:34
Wow, good info Jim! Maybe just time it and use it one way.

E. von Hoegh
28-Dec-2010, 15:38
The Optimo achieved higher speeds than it's brethren by the idea the the blades would only go one direction at a time and not have to be slowed by both opening and closing. Set it once and they flip cw. Next time they flip ccw. etc. But the trouble I've experienced is that one way seems always slower than the other.

I had one, once. The governing piston was way too small, the speeds were different, as you mentioned, and I grew to loathe it as an unmechanical device.
I'll take ANY reasonably unworn Volute, Compound, or other pneumatic over an Optimo.
But I must say I like their looks :) .

Nathan Smith
29-Dec-2010, 21:13
Thanks for all of the input. There is probably more info about Optimo's in this thread than the rest of the net, I haven't found very much of anything. But, just for completeness sake:

"Optimo 1A shutter mechanism" on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpclemens/4398727345/in/photostream/)
"Wollensak Lenses and Shutters Catalog 1912/13" on cameraeccentric.com (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensak_9.html)

Jim Graves
29-Dec-2010, 21:22
Nathan ... thanks for posting those 2 links.

In case someone doesn't notice, there is a "rollover" feature on the Flickr link ... as you roll your mouse pointer over the photo of the shutter innards ... information pops up ......... very helpful information.