PDA

View Full Version : Old Negs, 2 3/4 x 5??

Allen in Montreal
27-Dec-2010, 16:37
I was looking through some of my dad's old negs today, a bunch from the early and mid 50's clearly marked Speed Graphic, Super XX film etc.

But there are several rolls that are 2 3/4 x 5. I don't recall him speaking about the camera or the format, the film seems to be roll film, not sheet film.
The images appear to be older than the negs that are date lined in the 50s.

Any idea what camera he (or maybe his father shot some of these) would have been using?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Brian Schall
27-Dec-2010, 20:24
Probably one of the old Kodak folders such as the 3A or similar (I have a couple of 1A Autographic that's close to that size). Probably 116 or 122 format. I think this is what they called the 'post card' size.

Oren Grad
27-Dec-2010, 20:50
Postcard is just a bit bigger - 3 1/4 x 5 1/2.

Allen in Montreal
27-Dec-2010, 21:07
I put a pair of gloves on and laid a neg out on the light table.
Actual image size is 2 7/8 x 4 7/8.

Judging from some of the content, they must have been shot by my grandfather, not my dad.
(sorry for the iPhone pic).

Nathan Potter
27-Dec-2010, 21:21
When I was a real kid my first sort of LF camera was a post card size like Oren says.
27/8 X 47/8 seems oddball; although some cameras may have cropped the standard postcard size slightly. Postcard size was introduced in 1903 for ortho roll film - real grainy stuff as my few remaining negs. show. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

EdWorkman
27-Dec-2010, 21:35
According to this site
http://www.bvipirate.com/Kodak/FilmHist.html
Kodak rollfilm 130
very cool

Allen in Montreal
28-Dec-2010, 07:20
Thank you Ed,
Great reference page. The time line of when the camera was made sure seems to fit the puzzle too.
Much appreciated.

"In 1916 one more number in this series was added: No. 130 for pictures 2-7/8 by 4-7/8 made with No. 2C Kodak cameras. "

Jim Galli
28-Dec-2010, 09:35
Allen, I had a friend bring me some of those that he wanted prints from. This was before scanners and Epsons. I made a neg holder with my mat cutter and scrap pieces of mat board. 2 windows for the neg size and a tape hinge. Works sweeet

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Dec-2010, 09:44
I know that Nikor made a stainless reel for size 122 film, but they are quite scarce, I last saw one on fleabay a year or so ago for an outrageous price. I'll keep looking for one.

Allen in Montreal
28-Dec-2010, 19:33
Jim,

Great idea, thank you. At 4 7/8ths it should just fit in the Durst 138. :--)
I will pick some of the best and make prints for the family over time.

Allen, I had a friend bring me some of those that he wanted prints from. This was before scanners and Epsons. I made a neg holder with my mat cutter and scrap pieces of mat board. 2 windows for the neg size and a tape hinge. Works sweeet