PDA

View Full Version : DAYi multi-format rollfilm back - pros/cons?

Ari
27-Dec-2010, 16:30
I took a long look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280602834493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Has anybody tried it? Is it as multi-format as it claims? Did it fall to pieces the first time you used it? Does it provide excellent film flatness?
Tell me, I wanna know!

Joseph Dickerson
27-Dec-2010, 17:26
There are several reviews/user's guides on the Da Yi and the Shen Hao backs. Search this forum or google. They seem to be less than inspiring as far as build quality, they ain't no Linhof, but very rugged and completely serviceable. The Shen Hao is available for $300 or so from Badger Graphic Sales. They are indeed multiformat, as the reviews will indicate.

JD

JimL
27-Dec-2010, 23:39
I found film flatness to be excellent using it for 6x12. But keep in mind that, like many roll film backs, the film takes a reverse curl around a roller before going through the film gate. The spacing of the rollers is set up for 6x12, and when you're using it for 6x9, the strongly curled part can end up part way through the frame and lift the film off the pressure plate. I didn't notice any major problems from this when shooting at small apertures, but it something to be aware of if the film has been sitting in the back for a long time before you wind on.

Ash
28-Dec-2010, 04:05
Just last night I was thinking about these. Previous research said "go for it" but funding was tight. If you get one before I do, be sure to post some response here.

Scotty230358
28-Dec-2010, 05:57
I have the Shen Hao version and have experienced no film flatness issues either on 6x9 or 6x12. I am undecided as to which format I prefer but for the bargain price of a smidgen over $150 I can't complain.

Jiri Vasina
28-Dec-2010, 07:07
I've had this roll back some 2 years ago, have shot a dozen or so rolls with it. Worked quite well, no problems there, either with film flatness, or build quality. But have sold it nonetheless because of lack of use (stopped shooting roll film if hauling a large camera in the field anyway :) ).

One thing to note, though, is that the black paint used on the metal is not matte enough: if you have a bright area (sun/light) near the long edge of the frame, especially from a tangential angle, it will reflect off of the 3mm of metal and project on the film. It's quite easy to remedy by applying truly black matte finish to the back...

Would I recommend it? Yes. Are there better backs? Yes, but for significantly more money...

Jiri