PDA

View Full Version : 150mm Sironar S or N

El Topo
27-Dec-2010, 15:56
Hi all,

This has probably been widely disccused here, but I'm unable to find an answer.
I'm looking for a QUALITY 150mm. Other than price and image circle, is there any difference between the Rodenstock 150mm Sironar S and N? (ED glass, etc...). Is the S any sharper than the N?.

Thanks!

Gem Singer
27-Dec-2010, 17:01
It's my understanding that the "S" stands for "SHARP".

The answer to your question is "YES".

mdm
27-Dec-2010, 17:11
The S has more coverage than an N. 75o vs 72o. You should be able to get an S for a reasonable price if you are patient, N's are easily available. They are very nice but not the be all and end all. A cheap tessar will be nicer out of focus, so if that is what you like then dont spend the money on a S.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 17:19
The S covers a larger circle, has less distortion, better color, higher resolution and easily outperforms the N and other similar lenses.
If you are looking for a new lens the Apo Sironar N series is no longer manufactured and most places are out of stock.

Policar
27-Dec-2010, 17:32
Just based on mtf charts, the N is extremely close to the S (up until the edges, where it falls off) and superior to even the Apo-Symmar-L. But different manufacturers measure mtf differently, so...

Anyhow, I have a 135mm and 180mm sironar-s and can confirm they are sharp and have awesome color rendering with almost no secondary chromatic aberration. At normal f-stops I can't imagine the difference in sharpness is significant, though. I doubt I'll spend the extra money when I get a long lens, but only because long lenses are more expensive and even the worst large format lenses are fairly good in my experience.

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 06:52
Just based on mtf charts, the N is extremely close to the S (up until the edges, where it falls off) and superior to even the Apo-Symmar-L. But different manufacturers measure mtf differently, so...

Anyhow, I have a 135mm and 180mm sironar-s and can confirm they are sharp and have awesome color rendering with almost no secondary chromatic aberration. At normal f-stops I can't imagine the difference in sharpness is significant, though. I doubt I'll spend the extra money when I get a long lens, but only because long lenses are more expensive and even the worst large format lenses are fairly good in my experience.

What chart are you looking at? Did you see the relative light fall-off, Distortion at ratios 0.03 to 0.2x and the logitudinal color aberration at ratio 0.1x graphs for these two lenses?

The S is substantially better.

And you did notice that the MTF chart for the N is from 0.0 to 112.4mm while the curve for the S is from 0.0 to 126.7mm? Where the lines start tpo fall at on the N they are still almost flat on the S.

Yes, the curves for the two lenses do look similar. But the curves for the S are over a wider area.

Ed Richards
28-Dec-2010, 07:44
Bob,

Where do the W lenses fit in?

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2010, 07:57
Bob,

Where do the W lenses fit in?

They covered 80° and were actually replaced after the S series came out. They ran concurrently with the S and N for a couple of years but other then the extra 5° of coverage the S was preferable.

Matus Kalisky
28-Dec-2010, 08:12
Ramon, as you stated that you are looking for good 150mm lens - have a look at the Fujinon CM-W 150/5.6 too. I have the 125/5.6 version and it is terrific. CM-W ist the latest (should I say last?) generation of Fujinon lenses.
Schenider Apo Symmar and Apo Symmar L lenses are supposed to be very good as well.

onnect17
28-Dec-2010, 13:06
Ramon, I own an Apo-Sironar-S 150mm. It's my best lens.

El Topo
28-Dec-2010, 14:51
Thanks everybody for the answers. It seems that the Sironar S is going to live to up to its reputation, so I think I'll go for it.

Matus, I think I prefer to stick to Rodenstock (my other 2 lenses are also R), but thanks for the advice :)

archivue
2-Jan-2011, 14:59
Having a digital back, i'm not using 4x5 enought, i will reduce my number of lens...
if you are in europe, and wants to buy a 150 S second hand, drop me an email !