PDA

View Full Version : Question for Owners of the Glass Omega 4x5 Negative Carrier

corgan4321
27-Dec-2010, 01:37
I got an Omega glass carrier for 4x5 negatives recently from a user in the For Sale section. I've inspected the glass to ensure that the top piece is ANR glass, but neither side of the glass shows a blurry reflection like I thought it would. The reflection looks the same as the reflection in regular bottom piece of glass. Is this the same for you? The top piece has that 45 degree angle cut on each side so it seems original....

Also, I know for a fact that the bottom piece was recut because the seller told me so when he sold it to me. I contact printed with this piece of glass and found that this specific piece of glass reduced the contrast of my prints a little. Would it have the same effect in a negative carrier and should I be worried about this?

corgan4321
27-Dec-2010, 01:39
Oops, I'm sorry moderators: I placed this thread in the wrong section. Please feel free to move.

ic-racer
27-Dec-2010, 04:20
The original glass probably got replaced, or AN glass may have been an option when originally sold. Replacement glass from a good supplier will have the bevel in the glass. It also could have two original bottom pieces.

FPoint (https://linux19.domainnameservers.net/~fpoint5/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=6049798.6289*p51D50&xm=on&product=ENLARGER_GLASS)should have the glass you need for the top piece.

SamReeves
27-Dec-2010, 09:43
I would agree. I don't see any spectral blemishes on my glass carrier.

corgan4321
28-Dec-2010, 14:09
Thanks for te replies, I think I should have clarified more. The lower piece of glass was definitely recut: it's got sharp edges and a chip or two on the edges but any piece of clean glass should do... No? The top piece has beveled edges which is why I thought it was original. However, original glass should be ANR glass which, as far as my understanding goes, should have one reflective side, and one side that reflects light differently. I got this knowledge from Better Scanning here:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/usinginsert.html

My piece seemingly reflects light the same on both sides. Maybe the etched side is just very lightly etched? Can one of you guys who has the carrier confirm that one side does reflect light as shown on the Better Scanning site? If so, is the etched side facing the negative or facing the condenser?

ic-racer
28-Dec-2010, 14:46
You don't have AN glass. I'd put the top piece in the bottom and get a new top AN piece from FPoint.

Merg Ross
28-Dec-2010, 15:36
AN glass was not provided on the original Omega 4X5 glass carriers, at least not those sold in the 1960's. That was when I bought mine new ($19.50) and have used it almost weekly ever since. Bottom glass is square cut, top piece beveled only on the ends.

corgan4321
4-Jan-2011, 04:39
AN glass was not provided on the original Omega 4X5 glass carriers, at least not those sold in the 1960's. That was when I bought mine new ($19.50) and have used it almost weekly ever since. Bottom glass is square cut, top piece beveled only on the ends.

Perfect, well this seems to be what I have. I'll give it a shot and see if I don't get Newton rings. Thanks to all!