PDA

View Full Version : Rim-set Tessar cleaning agony..

Robbie Bedell
26-Dec-2010, 16:24
Well, I've gone and done it. Inspired by some research I took the face off my 13.5 rim-set compur Tessar because the slow shutter speeds were slow. Other that that it was fine. I followed the directions to a 'T' (at least I thhink I did) but when I got it back together it would not cock. I thought I would send it to Flutot's, but they are not accepting any more work at this time. I am afraid if I take the face off again, I might do some more damage. I am sure I did not break anything, becasue I did not force anything, so I can't figure what I might have done wrong. It was like-new clean inside. Does anyone know any other reliable shutter repair folks who would work on an old rim-set? Or does someone have any suggestions of how I might remedy my screw-up. Thanks to all who read this! Robbie Bedell

http://robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

Robbie Bedell
26-Dec-2010, 16:28
I am SORRY. I MEANT to say DIAL-SET Compur!

Vladik
26-Dec-2010, 16:56
If the cocking lever cannot be moved at all, then you just could have assembled the M(I)BT setting wheel wrongly. There is a lever which blocks (no. 5 in the picture) the cocking mechanism and there is no other way how the cocking mechanism can be blocked presuming everything else is OK.
Can be the shutter used on T or B setting? Reminder: do not cock the shutter, just press the shutter release.
If you set the the MBT setting wheel on M, can be the shutter still be used as set on T? Try and let us know.

Robbie Bedell
26-Dec-2010, 17:17
If I just press the shutter release lever the shutter opens and closes like it was on 'B'. The IBT dial does not want to turn. When I opened the shutter It was on 'I' and the dial was on 1 sec.

Vladik
26-Dec-2010, 17:43
Disassemble the IBT setting wheel. Outside the shutter casing there should be just the wheel with IBT markings, screw and screw spring pad. Is it so?
Under the front shutter panel there is a second part ot he setting wheel which has a protrusion and threaded hole also with a protrusion. First protrusion slips into the hole in lever no.5. The threaded hole with second protrusion is for the screw and it also serves as turning point when inserted into to front panel of the shutter housing.
Try to move the lever no. 5 by hand. Donīt worry, you cannot do anything wrong. Were the second part of the setting wheel assembled correctly? Is it possible to move the lever no. 5 by hand? If it is possible to move the lever no. 5 by hand, assemble correctly the setting wheel. Compare the shutter with removed front panel with the picture in my previous post. Anything strange?

Vladik
26-Dec-2010, 17:55
Correction. There is also a protrusion on the setting wheel with markings. This protrusion slips into the second wheel located under the front panel.

Robbie Bedell
26-Dec-2010, 18:00
MANY THANKS for your help Vladik. When I first took the face off, I went to cock the shutter and fire it, as that's what the instructions dictated. It was at that point that I realized the shutter would not cock. I am going to carefully go through your last suggestions, but I have to step out for a couple of hours and I will not be able to get back to it until tomorrow morning, my time, West Palm Beach, Florida. It would be grand if I cound fix this myself. Again, many thanks for your experience in this and I will report back when I have made some progress...

Vladik
26-Dec-2010, 18:09
OK, letīs look at the shutter in the morning. My time is central european :) I have to go to the bed.

Robbie Bedell
27-Dec-2010, 08:32
Hooray Vladik, and thank you. You are a genius. When I set to it this morning I followed your directions and managed to get it all back together and it's working beautifully. I must say I had a little more confidence going into it the second time. The hardest part is getting the tiny screw in the shutter-cocking lever. The shutter seems like new. The only thing acting up is the 'T' sometimes does not want to stay open so I have to fire it a few times until it does. But I can live with that with a locking cable release. Many Thanks again Vladik!!

Vladik
27-Dec-2010, 09:13
Thatīs great :)

Just in case somebody else would like to disassemble dial-set Compur Iīve added few pictures ;)

T and M settings of dial-set Compur:
Fig. 1 - M setting uncocked
Fig. 2 - M setting cocked
Fig. 3 - T setting

Vladik
27-Dec-2010, 09:17
MBT setting wheel assembly:

Fig. 1 - reverse side of MBT setting wheel upper part
Fig. 2 - postion of MBT setting wheel lower part in the shutter front casing
Fig. 3 - reverse side of MBT setting wheel lower part

Vladik
27-Dec-2010, 09:18
Time setting wheel assembly:

Vladik
27-Dec-2010, 09:21
Shutter back side:

Fig. 1 - shutter blades
Fig. 2 - shutter ring (catch driver? - I donīt know proper english terminology, sorry)

Vladik
27-Dec-2010, 09:25
Dial-set Compur with MBT setting lever and trigger removed:

Fig. 1 T position, shutter closed
Fig. 2 T position, shutter opened

Neal Chaves
27-Dec-2010, 14:30
Here's a suggestion you can follow when you take apart any complicated mechanism. Make digital photos every time you pull a part off. We used to use Polaroid, now it is much easier and less expensive with digital.

Once I pulled every part out of a Compur O and changed the shutter blades. Everything went back and it worked perfectly. You should practice on some simple CLAs first before you attempt something like this, and I doubt parts are available in any case.