PDA

View Full Version : TMY-2 (New Tmax 400) - Reciprocity Info

Ed Richards
26-Dec-2010, 15:21
Finished my first rounds of TMY-2 reciprocity testing. This is processed in a Jobo 3010, Xtol 1:1, 8 minutes at 72F. My ISO is 400. I started with Kodak's recommendation:

10-100 seconds - 3x (1.5 stops) exposure

My daylight values:

1 minute = 3 minutes
2 minutes = 8 minutes
4 minutes = 20 minutes

It has been cloudy and impossible to get exposure consistency for long daylight exposures, so I did these last two with tungsten - ordinary room lights at night. Kodak says that TMY-2 exposures do not change under tungsten, but I have not tested this.

8 minutes = 60 minutes
16 minutes = 120 minutes

I will reshoot these in daylight when I get a clear day. I think they may be just a little long. But they would be perfect for things like dark churches.

These were all done with a B+W 110ND filter, which is 3.0 density - 10 stops - 1/1000 exposure. After counting stops on my fingers for a while - sometimes ending up with 11 fingers - I realized that you can just meter for EV and subtract 10. If you have a meter with a manual dial like a Pentax Spot meter, or a Digiflash (or a smartphone EV app), you just set the dial for 10 stops less and you have your exposure. Since stops are additive, when I shoot with the 3.0ND filter combined with the 1.5ND filter, I just subtract 15 stops.

ic-racer
26-Dec-2010, 21:45
Out of curiosity are you testing this?

Ed Richards
26-Dec-2010, 22:04
I am planning some long exposures to blur people in public places, plus I sometimes shoot in very dark interiors. This was taken inside a boarded up church after Katrina. It was so dark I had to focus and set the camera with a flashlight. (The church had been full nearly to the ceiling with water for weeks. The drop ceiling tiles disintegrated, leaving the ductwork hanging.)

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b1-hk-churches/photos/1195.jpg

Jack Dahlgren
26-Dec-2010, 22:32
I am planning some long exposures to blur people in public places, plus I sometimes shoot in very dark interiors. This was taken inside a boarded up church after Katrina. It was so dark I had to focus and set the camera with a flashlight. (The church had been full nearly to the ceiling with water for weeks. The drop ceiling tiles disintegrated, leaving the ductwork hanging.)

How do your results correspond with the published data for the film?
http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4043/f4043.pdf

Ed Richards
26-Dec-2010, 22:35
Kodak only gives data for 100 seconds.

Neal Chaves
27-Dec-2010, 14:15
I did a careful test years ago with Tri-X in HC110B and found no loss of film speed out to one minute. Before that I was making lots of over exposed negatives using the Kodak-suggested corrections. Now I use HP5+ and never have thin negatives at indicated exposures over 1/2 sec.
Suggest you test yourself.

Ed Richards
27-Dec-2010, 15:36
> Suggest you test yourself.

That is what this thread is about. That is what I found by testing.