PDA

View Full Version : 150mm lens options

Scratched Glass
26-Dec-2010, 15:12
Hello,

I'm in the market for a 150mm lens for my Technika V. I already have a cam and distance scale for a 150mm. I'd like a lens that will fold up in the camera. I mostly shoot transparencies for landscape work. I'd also like to use this handheld occasionally and spend less than $250. It would be nice to have a period Linhof lens (60's/70's) for the camera, but are modern lenses significantly better for color transparencies? Suggestions?

Thanks

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2010, 15:36
I think the older Schneider Symmars render beautifully. Compared to a recent lens, you might say the older lenses are smoother, the newer ones contrasty. On a micro-level, the newer ones will test slightly sharper but I wouldn't characterize a 1960s Symmar as being a soft lens.

The sloped sided black rim Linhof Compur shutters used back then are also very nice, although sometimes the higher 1/400th speed is not working. But they were the last to have the nicer circular aperture openings, which improves the bokeh. I also like the way the single coated lenses handle flare (although the modern lenses flare less often to be sure).

The old Xenar 150/4.5 is nice too, softer on the edges so the story goes, but as sharp as ever in the center. Nice for most things except super fussy architecture or flat plane still-life.

I'd avoid going too early with Rodenstocks, they often had separation issues in the 70s vintage. A little Schneideritis is nothing in comparison. But by the early 80s I think Rodenstock was top quality.

msk2193
26-Dec-2010, 20:25
Take a look at the lightweight 150mm Nikkor W. I love mine, although for landscapes I more often than not tend to reach for the 115mm Grandagon.

Jack Dahlgren
26-Dec-2010, 22:54
I think you may find that 150mm is a nominal dimension. Lenses from different manufacturers may not have the same focal distance. So, that cam may just be approximate unless you have the same lens that it was calibrated for.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 01:39
If you already have a cam for a 150 then you need to find the specific l;ens that the cam was cut for. Otherwise you need a new cam cut to properly work with whichever lens you buy. You will also need a pair of infinity stops as well. Tey come with a newly cut cam.

Tony Lakin
27-Dec-2010, 02:30
Linhof selected 150mm f4.5 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar, if you can afford one:D

jnantz
27-Dec-2010, 07:18
(i haven't ever seen one, other than the one i have)
but if you can find a computar symetrigon 150 grab it !
its a great lens in a modern shutter.

Scratched Glass
27-Dec-2010, 14:09
I think I'll be cruising eBay for a Schneider symmar. I'd love a Voightlander, because of the quality and there are Voights in my ancestry, but it looks like I would have to add another zero to my budget.

I thought with the Technika V cams were interchangeable, or is that just the cam is lens specific, and not both camera and lens. I'll risk the rangefinder not matching up perfectly. I could also try to find a lens that comes with a cam. I've already have infinity stops.

Unfortunately I haven't shot my "new" Technika yet because the lenses I got with it have to be sent out for a CLA.:( I think the Technika V is as a good a deal as a used Toyo 45 II unless you shoot a lot of wide angle.

Oh and thanks everyone for your opinions

Neal Chaves
27-Dec-2010, 14:42
I've matched many lens cams to my MT45 using either loose used cams, or lenses with cams from STIVs that were not standardized for MT45. If the RF does not match up at infinity because there is not enough metal on the cam, you can tap lightly along the edge of the cam with a machinist's hammer to "stretch it out" a bit and then finish with a fine file. This technique also works for TRF and Super Graphic cams. I had mint STIV factory lenses with matching cams and you could see where this touch up flattening had been done at the factory.

I think I'll be cruising eBay for a Schneider symmar. I'd love a Voightlander, because of the quality and there are Voights in my ancestry, but it looks like I would have to add another zero to my budget.

I thought with the Technika V cams were interchangeable, or is that just the cam is lens specific, and not both camera and lens. I'll risk the rangefinder not matching up perfectly. I could also try to find a lens that comes with a cam. I've already have infinity stops.

Unfortunately I haven't shot my "new" Technika yet because the lenses I got with it have to be sent out for a CLA.:( I think the Technika V is as a good a deal as a used Toyo 45 II unless you shoot a lot of wide angle.

Oh and thanks everyone for your opinions

Frank Petronio
27-Dec-2010, 14:50
I'd certainly check out a cam and test it before investing $300 into getting a new cam made. First thing would be deciding that you really like the lens for handheld shooting....

Also, what's the point of camming a wide lens like a 90?

Neal Chaves
28-Dec-2010, 09:45
It's nice to have RF focusing and an accurate viewfinder with wide lenses because they are often dim and hard to focus on the ground glass under less than ideal conditions.

When I had an MT45, I found that it was capable of RF focusing with lenses shorter than 75mm. I modified a recessed lens board for even deeper recession and mounted a 58mm Grandagon, cutting down a 75mm cam to match it. It worked with the bed dropped, and was lot more convenient than the Linhof wide-angle focusing device, which I promptly sold. I composed with the Linhof 4X5 view finder set to 75mm for roll film and a Russian 20mm finder for full 4X5.