PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at developing: Can you guess what went wrong?

adietrich
26-Dec-2010, 11:21
http://www.thedietrichs.us/sites/misc/20101226-Foma_scan0001.jpg
I will do better next time.

mikebarger
26-Dec-2010, 11:41
Flash? Camera not set to correct shutter speed for the flash.

adietrich
26-Dec-2010, 11:44
Nope, that wasn't the problem. :)

Steven Tribe
26-Dec-2010, 11:54
Whatever you did wrong - you did an awful lot very well indeed!
Insufficient depth, if it was dip and dunk. Darkslide not withdrawn completely. Sliding back positioned incorrectly.
It is very sad as the composition is perfect. I like the way the clothing forms a common framing.

adietrich
26-Dec-2010, 12:52
Thanks Steven,
You were right. I didn't use enough developer. Man, was I bummed out yesterday.
Details: Linhof TechIII, Fomapan 100, Adonal 1:100 (but not enough if it), one hour modified stand development.

ki6mf
26-Dec-2010, 12:55
Possibly not enough developer to fill the container, dark slide not pulled out all the way is this was sheet film. If its roll film it may be the first or last shot on the roll.

CG
27-Dec-2010, 09:04
Whatever happened, you are almost all the way there. The one half of the image looks quite good.

If you shoot test rolls or test sheets to work out the kinks in the process, it's less frustrating. Then you can shoot the stuff you care about.

John Kasaian
27-Dec-2010, 11:06
What kind of container were you using to develop in?

reyno bundit
27-Dec-2010, 13:21
overlapping film i drum

Gem Singer
27-Dec-2010, 15:09
Didn't anyone bother to read post #5 in this thread?

adietrich
27-Dec-2010, 15:20
What kind of container were you using to develop in?
Jobo 2523 with 800ml developer.

onnect17
27-Dec-2010, 16:28
The info at --> www.jobo.com/web/System-Tanks-2500.853.0.html
lists the amount as 1500ml but just to make sure you should insert the reel and core inside the tank and fill it with water until the level reaches the top of the reel. Pour the amount into another container to measure it.
Also you can place fillers to save a little in chemicals.

Thanks Steven,
Details: Linhof TechIII, Fomapan 100, Adonal 1:100 (but not enough if it), one hour modified stand development.

mikew
28-Dec-2010, 12:03
Thanks Steven,

Just a note: if you're using a dip and dunk-type agitation method, you'll always get inconsistent results with semi-stand and stand development because the developer will split from the water and sit at the bottom of your tank or tray causing uneven development...though I've never seen it as extreme as in your example. So I don't think that it was a developing issue...

If it was a development problem - and the film was exposed correctly - then you'd still get density throughout the neg even if areas were extremely underdeveloped. Not looking at the actual neg - which is the only way to tell - I'd say that it's something in-camera not a processing issue...especially because the density differential is so drastic.

Best of luck,

Mikew