PDA

View Full Version : History of shutter design article

Jim Graves
25-Dec-2010, 22:36
Ran across this article by accident on the history of shutter design ... interesting: Link (http://randcollins.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/shutters/)

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2010, 00:42
Excellent!

Emil Schildt
26-Dec-2010, 06:10
great article. I actually learned how to use my Guerry shutter.. (maybe...)

Steven Tribe
26-Dec-2010, 06:32
Emil, this is not a good source for real information about the Guerry - but the others listed are better covered. I found a much better, similar layout, summary in "earlyphotography" website under shutters - with the various types listed.
Your Guerry won't work properly until your change the solidified red internal bulb with a flexible replacement!

Emil Schildt
26-Dec-2010, 07:03
Emil, this is not a good source for real information about the Guerry - but the others listed are better covered. I found a much better, similar layout, summary in "earlyphotography" website under shutters - with the various types listed.
Your Guerry won't work properly until your change the solidified red internal bulb with a flexible replacement!

no - that's not the problem.
The shutter works really well.
The problem is, when putting it on a front of a lens, the leaf, when opening fast, it shakes the lens a lot...

Looking at the image in the article, I thought it might not shake so much when used....

But what do I know....
I looks like it is supposed to be put onthe front of the lens, but then.....:cool:

Emil Schildt
26-Dec-2010, 07:08
just looked at the earlyphotography site, and my shutter doesn't look like the pictured one...

(It is the "late" model with electrical contacts...)

I'll see if I can take a picture of my shutter, as it is difficult to explain in writing...

Steven Tribe
26-Dec-2010, 07:23
The first link (OP) in this series shows the Guerry mounted on the back end of a Petzval in a drawing! Although all say it can be rear mounted (if there is room!), I think they mean like a Packard/Ilexpo. On my 7" opening Guerry, there are many screw holes on the wood edges were it has been attached to the inside of a Front standard or a 10" lens board.
The big disadvantage of the Guerry is that the front mounting system means that there is a very small range of barrel diameters the individual size shutters fit.

goamules
26-Dec-2010, 07:50
Another early shutter that was very popular in America was made by Prosch.
http://www.photica.net/shutters/shutters.htm

GPS
26-Dec-2010, 10:55
Ran across this article by accident on the history of shutter design ... interesting: Link (http://randcollins.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/shutters/)

As usual, the devil is in the details. The author (Rand Collins) of this article says that Bausch & Lomb started the production of their iris diaphragm shutter in the year 1890. From what I know Edward Bausch invented this shutter in the year 1887. It was patented the following year (1888 - pat. n. 382858) and started to be manufactured in the same year - 1888.

Mark Sawyer
26-Dec-2010, 11:35
Another early shutter that was very popular in America was made by Prosch.
http://www.photica.net/shutters/shutters.htm

I was using a Darlot Hemispherique Rapide in a Prosch shutter over at Garrett's last weekend. One of the more interesting aspects of the Prosch shutter is that it has four different tension settings, giving the user a choice of 1/40th of a second, 1/40th of a second, 1/40th of a second, or 1/40th of a second.

GPS
26-Dec-2010, 11:44
I was using a Darlot Hemispherique Rapide in a Prosch shutter over at Garrett's last weekend. One of the more interesting aspects of the Prosch shutter is that it has four different tension settings, giving the user a choice of 1/40th of a second, 1/40th of a second, 1/40th of a second, or 1/40th of a second.

Correct :) - it was not that different with the pneumatic governors used on later shutters either - up to the invention of the clockwork delaying mechanism. From the science history point of view this search for dependable short timings in the photography was interesting endeavour.