PDA

View Full Version : How to mount xenotar 150mm 2.8 in shutter?

rastas
25-Dec-2010, 10:38
I have a xenotar 150mm f2.8 lens in barrel. I want to mount in shutter. It's my understanding that it will fit in a compur #2 shutter, or a Copal 3 shutter with adapter rings.

Where do I get these rings? What size should they be? I know skGrimes can do this job, but its pretty expensive. Any advice welcomed.

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2010, 11:26
You're best off with a Speed Graphic 4x5 camera with it's focal plane shutter. The Copal - Compur's fastest speeds are 1/250th wheras a Speed Graphic can give 1/1000ths.

With a f/2.8 lens you'll need the fast shutter speed outdoors. Stopping down defeats the purpose of having such an exotic lens.

Also, you can get a complete Speed Graphic for less than the cost of a shutter. Otherwise, if you must have a shutter mount, SK Grimes is worth the cost, as is http://lensn2shutter.com/

rastas
25-Dec-2010, 12:01
Thanks for the advice. I haven't checked out that lensn2shutter, so I'll talk with them. I have used the speed graphic with cloth focal plane shutter, but its hard to use flash with those (since shutter is a traveling slit moving across film plane). So if anyone has thoughts on adapter rings and such, i'm all ears.

john wood
25-Dec-2010, 12:06
I defer to Frank, but can only tell you what worked for me for pretty cheap: definitely the Speed Graphic (which I had already), then waited to find a beater Symmar 240-420 convertible lens (not the Symmar S, just the Symmar) in shutter. Unscrewed the front and back, put the shutter on the Xenotar (fits fine), and sold the Symmar glass.

Sizam
23-Aug-2011, 15:00
Specifically what speed graphic camera/shutter do I need to get to make a Xenotar work on my Toyo 45A?

Dan Fromm
24-Aug-2011, 11:44
If you go that way, you replace the Toyo with a Speed Graphic. Speed Graphics have focal plane shutters. To learn more about them, visit www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

Sizam
24-Aug-2011, 12:38
Ohhh, I thought I could just use the SG board to attach it to my toyo :)