PDA

View Full Version : Memphis to New Orleans

sheeep
24-Dec-2010, 14:44
Headed down for the most stereotypical southern road trip I could think of. Anyone have any suggestions on what to hit along the way?

thanks

-O

Thom Bennett
24-Dec-2010, 16:07
I'm assuming you are coming down US 61. Lots of interesting things to see along the way. What are you looking to photograph? People, landscape, architecture? I especially like Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Natchez for all of the above.

Once you are in New Orleans you should get over to the New Orleans Museum of Art (http://www.noma.org/) and check out Residents and Visitors: Twentieth Century Photographs of Louisiana. There are also lots of photography exhibits up right now for PhotoNOLA (http://www.neworleansphotoalliance.org/). If you need any help once you are in New Orleans pm me.

rguinter
24-Dec-2010, 18:13
If in New Orleans you can take the Ferry across the river to Old Algiers for a sunset looking back at the skyline. There is an inexpensive parking lot just after the Ferry ramp.

Depending on how energetic you are (or if the temperature permits) you can walk a long way on the levee for views back at the city from under the bridge.

Bob G.

sanking
24-Dec-2010, 18:26
If in Natchez drive over the bridge to Vidalia and go to the riverwalk. You can walk right under the bridge on the riverwalk and there are some pretty neat views with a wide angle lens. When you drive back to Natchez turn right just after you cross the bridge and go up to the parking lot of the hotel on the hill. You will get a spectacular view of the bridge and Natchez from that vantage point, best I believe in the late pm as the sun sets to the west. Also, the old Natchez cemetery is just out of this world and is a must see if you are in the area. And of course there are many beautiful old homes in Natchez. This was one of the wealthiest cities in all of the south before the Civil War and a great deal of the old has been preserved.

If you have the time drive up to Lake St. John from Ferriday. This is one of those lakes created when the Mississippi diverted its path sometimes in the past. Lots of beautiful water birds on this lake. One of my aunts has a house on the lake and I spent a few days there last week. At one point several hundred white pelicans, and dozens and dozens of white egrets and anhingas settled in the lake just a a few feet from the view window from the back of the house. One of the most spectacular sights of my life, and so happy to see all those pelicans doing so well after the fear we had from the Gulf oil spill.

Sandy King

Pat Kearns
25-Dec-2010, 22:18
Take Hwy 61 from Vicksburg south to New Orleans. It will run thru Natchez, Port Gibson, St. Francisville, Baton Rouge, to New Orleans. Plenty of plantation homes along the route. St. Francisville is one of my favorite towns with numerous plantation homes. Highway 61 is also known as the River Road and is one of the scenic byways that shouldn't be missed.

bvaughn4
28-Dec-2010, 21:05
DO NOT leave New Orleans without visiting/photographing at least one cemetery!

Thom Bennett
28-Dec-2010, 21:57
Just don't go alone to the cemetery. Have someone you know go along to watch your back and your stuff.