PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Photographing in Eugene, Oregon

Brian Ellis
24-Dec-2010, 09:24
I'm going to be in Eugene, Oregon next week. I've driven through it many times but have never stayed there. I'll be able to spend at least two full days photographing and I'm thinking primarily of areas in or near Eugene that might have some interesting older buildings, a historic district if there is one, older residential or commercial areas, maybe old industrial areas, things like that. Not so much falling-down wreck stuff as just interesting architecture. Of course I plan to check out the university campus but that's about the only area I know of for what I'm thinking about. And I'm not averse to others things such as parks, landscapes, etc. in or near Eugene. Thanks for any suggestions

Jim Michael
24-Dec-2010, 09:38
There is an art zone downtown with some nice sculptures.

Frank Petronio
24-Dec-2010, 09:40
Spencer Butte! And Lincoln Street North of the Market District, Skinner Butte.

Brian Ellis
24-Dec-2010, 21:36
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

Scott Knowles
25-Dec-2010, 06:21
If you have the time to drive, try highway 58 to Oakridge and the surrounding area (NF Willamette R, Salmon Cr, etc.) or highway 128 to McKenzie Bridge and surrounding area (Clear Lake, hwy 242). It's a day trip for each but great drives and great country, although with snow somewhere on the way and beyond (some highways closed?).

Brian Ellis
25-Dec-2010, 18:31
Thanks Scott. Based on the number of responses it doesn't look like Eugene is a real popular area for photography. : - )

Kuzano
25-Dec-2010, 22:10
With a short break from 67 to 70. Worked on the UofO campus from 70 to 84. I call those "My Years Sans Photography Anywhere Close to Home".

I'm not street or portrait. Landmarks ??? other than those mentioned before. I mostly drove away from Eugene for photo junkets. Historically, the town outgrew most of it's historical architecture. There were a lot of historical grants for neighborhoods West of the downtown in the 70's, but that's all residential.

Sun vacates Eugene (and most of the South Willamette Valley) during the months from October to June. The air is moist during that period, measured often in inches per day.

A NOTE HERE FOR FRANK P....

Frank, I saw one of your posts on your Blog about your time in Eugene. I wanted to post back and tell you that one of my close friends was a Hell's Angel who stunt rode the Harley Davidson up the stairway in "Animal House". That was about 4 blocks from where I worked for 14 years. Sounds like you may have been in Eugene during that era.

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2010, 22:17
That house is pretty famous - is it still standing? That damn movie inspired me to join a frat, that was big mistake, the poor frat never recovered ;-)

Yep, moved there in May of 82 and promptly fell off the columns at Skinner's Butte and lived at the St. Mary's Hospital for the Summer, then went to U of Zero and graduated to a local 25% unemployment rate in 1984!

Went to school there the Summer of 81 as well. I was just another dirty wannabee hippie jock brat.

Seriously Brian, the two Buttes are major local landmarks on the horizon and show you what the settler's saw when they found their land of milk and honey. The river too has a lot of history (flowing North as it does is rare) and I think you could tell a nice little story about coming out of the mountains and into God's country in only a few miles. After passing through all that desert, a hundred inches of rain must have felt wonderful.

There are a few old farms and settlements, I would search those out if I were visiting to shoot I think.

Kuzano
25-Dec-2010, 22:37
Are you driving over to Eugene and driving back, and then doing two days in Eugene.

If that is the case, go over the South Santiam and take the Clear Lake Cutoff. Shortly after you turn onto the cutoff, you will drive past Sahalie Falls on the Mckenzie River. If you pull into the Sahalie turnoff, it's just a short walk to a viewpoint of the the falls. It's not a monumental subject, but it's a lush green medium falls with good pounding water flow. From there down through the Blue River (McKenzie) area there are a number of covered bridges across the river.

Then the two days in Eugene can be spent looking for some of the sights mentioned by others.

If you then come back over Highway 58, there is the Dexter Reservoir ???, further up Oakridge and some riverside viewing. Take your chains, but you know that, right?

Brian Ellis
26-Dec-2010, 08:33
Are you driving over to Eugene and driving back, and then doing two days in Eugene.

If that is the case, go over the South Santiam and take the Clear Lake Cutoff. Shortly after you turn onto the cutoff, you will drive past Sahalie Falls on the Mckenzie River. If you pull into the Sahalie turnoff, it's just a short walk to a viewpoint of the the falls. It's not a monumental subject, but it's a lush green medium falls with good pounding water flow. From there down through the Blue River (McKenzie) area there are a number of covered bridges across the river.

Then the two days in Eugene can be spent looking for some of the sights mentioned by others.

If you then come back over Highway 58, there is the Dexter Reservoir ???, further up Oakridge and some riverside viewing. Take your chains, but you know that, right?

I think I'm photographed out on Sahalie but you're right, it's a very nice waterfall. I like getting down off the bridge and photographing from ground level and snow usually makes that difficult this time of year. But I'll check it out on my way if I can get down to it, thanks for reminding me of it.

I've just had a real urge to do some architectural photography lately. Bend is great for a lot of things but most of the older commercial and public buildings have gone the way of "progress." So I thought of Eugene mostly because I thought the university might have some interesting buildings, plus it's accessible and not everything is this time of year. But I'm beginning to get the idea that Eugene may suffer from the same syndrome Bend does only twice as much.

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2010, 09:01
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=655070&postcount=831

U of O has a great campus actually, and a very good school of architecture.

Brian Ellis
26-Dec-2010, 11:34
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=655070&postcount=831

U of O has a great campus actually, and a very good school of architecture.

Thanks Frank, it actually was those two photographs that got me thinking about UofO as a place to go.

mikebarger
26-Dec-2010, 11:39
There's a Kingsford charcoal plant there.

Kuzano
26-Dec-2010, 14:58
But I'm beginning to get the idea that Eugene may suffer from the same syndrome Bend does only twice as much.

The tearing down and replacing that's been prevalent in Bend for the last twenty plus years was taking place in Eugene during the 70's and early 80's.

There is one way to get the lay of the city, and you may pick up some sights to drive to in the city for architecture. I just don't recall how much old architecture remains.

Drive up to the top of Skinners Butte (near 8th/9th street and the Willamette river). On the back side of the butte (willamette River side) there is the old Skinner cabin, built when settlement of Eugene took place. On the front side of the butte there is a road to the top. If you go up and look out over the city, you are very close to the downtown and most of the structures that make up the city. You can also see the taller buildings at the University. The river is also in view from there. On the back side is a climbing area of Granite Pillars. Not real tall, but very vertical and always loaded with climbers.

There is the Hult Center for the Performing Arts, near the base of the butte on 6th street. Also near the Eugene Hotel. The Hult Center is reputed to have the best acoustics on the West Coast and is a stately contemporary structure. Mason Williams, the classic guitarist rowed a canoe (in full tuxedo) from his home up the Willamette river (about 20 miles) for the Grand Opening of the Hult Center in 1982.

Hult Center Link: http://www.hultcenter.org/

Spencer Butte is at the far South outer limits of the city and the views are spectacular in many directions. However, no road to the top and it's about a two hour hike to the top.

About 8 miles West of Eugene is a very large reservoir near a town called Veneta. Lots of sailing there.

Guess I can think of a few places to photograph as I continue reminiscing.

Have a good trip.

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2010, 15:10
The American STUD Company in Springfield.

You could always go find Ken Kesey's farm....

Brownsville, about 20 miles North, is a historic early settlement.

On your way over, if you like cliffs, I always thought http://www.hoodoo.com/ ski area had some nice views right from the parking lot, might be good for a landscapist.

SUNdog
26-Dec-2010, 18:58
From downtown Eugene go West on 6th ave. till you come to the Union Pacific overpass, a scrap metal recycler is to your right just as you come to the overpass. Around this area there are some older industrial buildings to explore. If you continue North on Highway 99 and 99E you arrive in Junction City and Harrisburg, small towns also with older buildings. Continuing *North on Highway 99E there is Halsey, Shedd and Tangent smaller towns prior to Albany which I photograph in quite a bit. This is grass seed and sheep raising country.

If your really adventurous you can walk the UP tracks West from the downtown Eugene Amtrak Depot, but keep an eye out for the railroad bulls.

From the Eugene Water & Electric building downtown you can walk a path East along the South side of the Willamette River toward the U Of O campus.*

Then there is always Springfield!

JP
Eugene, Or

SUNdog
27-Dec-2010, 00:00
I might add that Eugene is an anarchist town full of hopped-up university students and taser toting cops with itchy trigger fingers.*

Terry Hayden
27-Dec-2010, 12:47
As another optional activity - try visiting the Emerald Art Center in Springfield.

Until Jan. 7th they have an exhibit of photography by members of Spectrum Gallery in Fresno, Ca. ( visiting artists ).

The Emerald Art Center is at 500 Main Street in Springfield.

I can attest that there is at least one ( moi ) large format photographer represented there...

Regards,
Terry
www.terrryhayden.com

Jim Graves
27-Dec-2010, 23:37
Here is a good link with a catalog of images of the most interesting buildings on the U.of O. campus ... gives a pretty good idea of the most interesting for photography: Link (http://photos.lib.state.or.us/exhibit2/e20533a.htm)

Jim Graves (Class of '68) -- Go Ducks!

Brian Ellis
28-Dec-2010, 00:27
Thanks for the additional information, especially Jim's photographs, that's really helpful. Eugene is looking better so I think I'll proceed as planned.