PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Wollensaks: Voltas vs Versar

cyberjunkie
23-Dec-2010, 23:51
Is there anybody out there with some experience with both lenses?
What i remember is that both models were sold at the same time, and that both of them should be of the Convertible Rapid Rectilinear type.
The Versar is a little faster (f/6 vs f/8), so probably it should be a little softer wide open.
The very nice catalogs available on Camera Eccentric report that both lenses were advertised as cheap all-round lenses, but the Versar was mentioned also as a "portrait" lens. I thought that it was just due to the increased max aperture, that made portraits a little easier, with the slow emulsions of the time. Then i have seen the nice pictures on Jim Galli's site: it deserves the "portrait" tag, even if the word is used with a more contemporary meaning!
What about the Voltas?
One last question: do the 8x10 Voltas and the 8x10 Versar share the same shutter size?

have fun

CJ

Louis Pacilla
24-Dec-2010, 09:45
Is there anybody out there with some experience with both lenses?
What i remember is that both models were sold at the same time, and that both of them should be of the Convertible Rapid Rectilinear type.
The Versar is a little faster (f/6 vs f/8), so probably it should be a little softer wide open.
The very nice catalogs available on Camera Eccentric report that both lenses were advertised as cheap all-round lenses, but the Versar was mentioned also as a "portrait" lens. I thought that it was just due to the increased max aperture, that made portraits a little easier, with the slow emulsions of the time. Then i have seen the nice pictures on Jim Galli's site: it deserves the "portrait" tag, even if the word is used with a more contemporary meaning!
What about the Voltas?
One last question: do the 8x10 Voltas and the 8x10 Versar share the same shutter size?

have fun

CJ

Hi C.J.

Really not much to add.

Both are Rapid Rectilinear Vesar f6-Voltas f8. Both fine lenses for what they are,,,,
Rapid Rectilinears Vesar f6-Voltas f8.

Nothing more or nothing less.

Peace
Louis