PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Info Request

wayazo
23-Dec-2010, 17:06
I am brand new to the world of large format photography. I've been using 35mm film for decades, digital 35mm for about 10 years. I've recently come into possession of a Crown Graphic "Special" field/press camera with four film backs and a polaroid back. All appears to be in working order. The camera has a Graflok back. Never having used 4x5 sheet film or a LF camera before, I am looking for the someone in the Everett WA area whom I can chat with who may be able to assist me in:
Learning the basic mechanics of this camera. (film loading, tilt, focus technique, etc.)
Information on a good lab (preferably in the Everett WA area) for 4x5 film processing and information on creating digital images from negatives taken with this camera.
A local source for film and accessories such as a 120 roll back for this camera.

Thanks in advance,
Wayazo

Brian C. Miller
23-Dec-2010, 18:37
Hi! I'm in Everett, close to "downtown." Sure, I can show you how to use it. Send me a PM, and we'll get together.

Unfortunately, developing the film is something you will have to do at home, or send it out. I can help you a bit with that, and give you a list of things to get from Glazer's near downtown Seattle.

The original 2x3 (6x9 approximately) roll film backs for the cameras aren't expensive, but they don't have a good reputation for holding film absolutely flat. More like Holga "good enough flat." There is a later Graflex model with a presure plate, and the more modern holders have pressure plates, too.

You'll need a scanner that can handle 4x5 negatives. I have an Epson 3200, which does a pretty decent job. I have my own enlargers, which I prefer.

Vaughn
24-Dec-2010, 00:59
I have a 6x7 Graphic roll film back I was planning to put up for sale after xmas. It is a lever-operated RH-10, and I plan to include a RH-20 for parts. The RH-20 is designed for 220 film, but its lever does not advance the film. I have not figured out a price yet. I'll be posting it in the for sale area with photos after xmas.

wayazo
24-Dec-2010, 08:41
Thanks, Brian, I will contact you after the holidays. I have four film backs and a Polaroid back for this camera as well. I located the serial number between the focus rails. It is 944620. Any way to tell the manufacturer date and find a user manual for this specific cam?

Bill

Jack Dahlgren
24-Dec-2010, 09:46
Thanks, Brian, I will contact you after the holidays. I have four film backs and a Polaroid back for this camera as well. I located the serial number between the focus rails. It is 944620. Any way to tell the manufacturer date and find a user manual for this specific cam?

Bill

Spend some time at Graflex.org
I think you might find the manual here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pacemaker_crown/pacemaker_crown.htm

Brian C. Miller
24-Dec-2010, 18:15
If the Polaroid back is a 550, then you can use Fuji instant film with it. If it is the 545, then it isn't worth much, because nobody produces Polaroid-compatible sheet film, and the odd pack on eBay costs $200 an up.

Locally, nobody is doing 4x5 development any longer. Panda labs (http://www.pandalab.com/) is rumored to offer 4x5 development next year, but I've also heard that they've been saying that for a while. I have a Yankee tank I can give you to get started if you want to develop B&W at home.

Previous thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57387): 8x10 color film labs in washington state?