PDA

View Full Version : Processed my first colour negatives!

SeanEsopenko
23-Dec-2010, 12:30
I was jumping in excitement last night because I processed my first batch of colour negatives. They were two 4x5's done in a Jobo 2551 tank on an old Simma roller.

I used a tetenal C41 press kit (the powdered kind) to do the job and I was pretty happy with the results. One of the negatives didn't turn out because I didn't have the 4x5 back on my camera properly and there was a light leak for a few shots.

This was at the High River gas plant in Alberta, Canada. Fuji 160S through a Schneider SA 90mm F8 single coated. Epson Scan with a V700. I'm not too keen on the colour balance and I had a rough time tweaking it in photoshop. I'm going to install the Silverfast SE that came with my scanner and give that a go for the next batch.

http://www.seanesopenko.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Gas-Spheres-High-River-2010-600.jpg

Brian C. Miller
23-Dec-2010, 12:54
All right! I've had great results with the kits. The chemicals don't keep for long, but they do a good job.

SeanEsopenko
23-Dec-2010, 12:57
All right! I've had great results with the kits. The chemicals don't keep for long, but they do a good job.

They're sitting in accordion bottles in the fridge right now. Do genuine Kodak & Fuji kits keep longer?. When the tetenal chemicals start to expire I'm going to kill them off with some cross processing for fun.

I need a better thermometer, or I should say a faster thermometer. I was using a "people" thermometer for measuring fevers which was very slow changing. I think I was at 104F but I wasn't quite sure. I suspect I overdeveloped them.

Does push/pull processing change the colour balance of C41 much?

Brian C. Miller
23-Dec-2010, 13:49
Honestly, I haven't tried push/pull processing. I suspect that it does not change the color balance.

I haven't used anything other than the Tetenal chemicals. The Kodak kit is for volumes larger than what I do for myself.

SeanEsopenko
23-Dec-2010, 13:54
I'm getting some inconsistencies of colour between Epson Scan and Vuescan

Epsonscan gave the image in the original post, above, and I didn't do much to the colour. It's fairly accurate.

Vuescan gives an image similar to this:
http://www.seanesopenko.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/vuescan.jpg

Did I do something grossly wrong with the development, for the different scanner packages to have such a wide difference in colour?

mrladewig
23-Dec-2010, 14:39
Sean, I'm not real familiar with Vuescan, but it looks like you haven't stripped the mask out on the second scan. The color on the EpsonScan version actually looks about right for Pro160S. Maybe a little tweaking is in order, but its close overall.

Ari
23-Dec-2010, 15:42
Sean, can you tell me from where you ordered the chemicals?
I haven't looked that hard yet, but the few places I found didn't ship chemicals to Canada.
Thanks,
Ari

jeroldharter
23-Dec-2010, 15:43
Nice. I have been tempted to try on my 8x10, maybe just a few each trip. I might give it a shot this year.

SeanEsopenko
23-Dec-2010, 15:46
Sean, can you tell me from where you ordered the chemicals?
I haven't looked that hard yet, but the few places I found didn't ship chemicals to Canada.
Thanks,
Ari

I ordered from B&H in new york. It was the Tetenal C41 press kit for about $22. It cost about $18 in shipping & taxes via purolator to Calgary, Canada. According to the the pamphlet it came with it should work out to about $1.25 per sheet for me and about $5 for a 120 roll.

Nice. I have been tempted to try on my 8x10, maybe just a few each trip. I might give it a shot this year.

It was surprisingly easy :) basically I just followed this video (except for the photo flo. I'm sick of photo flo scum, I can never get it mixed up right):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8qXU7dkNk

Jim C.
23-Dec-2010, 16:49
I ordered from B&H in new york. It was the Tetenal C41 press kit for about $22. It cost about $18 in shipping & taxes via purolator to Calgary, Canada. According to the the pamphlet it came with it should work out to about $1.25 per sheet for me and about $5 for a 120 roll.

Congrats on your first color developing, Freestyle photo in Los Angeles is
probably closer to you than B&H you'll save a few $ in shipping.

I like the Tetenal C-41 kits, I've seen them packaged as Unicolor or Jobo
kits, same chems but different label/box. I'm itching to try the Kodak flexicolor
chemistry but to me it's daunting since it's individual chems that I have to buy
not like the Kodak E-6 5L kits.

SeanEsopenko
23-Dec-2010, 19:56
Thanks Jim. I'll check out Freestyle's pricing. Most of the cost from B&H was taxes from the Canadian government. I could try another company willing to ship chemicals to Canada and see how it ends up.

http://www.seanesopenko.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/silverfast.jpg

On another note, here's a raw, quick scan from silverfast se (came with the v700). It's colour reproduction was much better. I'll continue using epson scan for b&w but I might be using silverfast for colour scans.

I just did a another batch C41 right now and it's going to turn out horrible. There was an accident with the blix stage (didn't have the tank lid closed correctly) that caused some problems. I guess I know now how important initial aggitation of the blix stage is.

edit: I called Freestyle about 2 months ago. They couldn't send C41 kits to Canada because they don't ship ground. I remembered who they were when I just had a look at the website now.