PDA

View Full Version : New Ansel Adams upload on youtube (1957)

johnmsanderson
23-Dec-2010, 06:39
Pardon if this has been posted, but I think it's pretty new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am54LMSwz9E

Richard K.
23-Dec-2010, 07:50
Thank you for this! I didn't know Ansel used a 7x17...

William Whitaker
23-Dec-2010, 08:08
That Ansel was a bit of a gear-head, eh?. I don't feel quite so bad now...

MIke Sherck
23-Dec-2010, 08:34
That was fun! Thanks for posting the link; I hadn't seen it before.

Mike

Chuck P.
23-Dec-2010, 09:10
There is also a part two: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZoneIII?feature=mhum#p/u/20/HpCRx6Pq004

CantikFotos
23-Dec-2010, 09:46
Very cool! Thanks!

dsim
23-Dec-2010, 10:17
Thanks for posting. Haven't seen that one before.

Brian C. Miller
23-Dec-2010, 12:36
Waitaminit! Wasn't that 4x5 camera a Cambo/Calumet Orbit? I have one in my closet! I could have Ansel Adam's 4x5 camera! It's in great condition, worth more than the Norsigian negatives because it still produces pictures! :D

bobwysiwyg
23-Dec-2010, 15:00
Waitaminit! Wasn't that 4x5 camera a Cambo/Calumet Orbit? I have one in my closet! I could have Ansel Adam's 4x5 camera! It's in great condition, worth more than the Norsigian negatives because it still produces pictures! :D

Did you find it at a garage sale? :D

John Bowen
23-Dec-2010, 17:29
It's good to know Ansel took more gear than I do on a photo trip. Yup, Ansel took one more filter than I carry, other than that, the gear list is almost the same. Of course, I take more 7x17 holders than Ansel.

Thanks so much for posting this wonderful link.

Curt
23-Dec-2010, 18:01
I found some 7x17 glass plates in my house when I moved in many decades ago. I wonder if they are worth anything?

Steve Feldman
23-Dec-2010, 18:23
Yipes! The 5x9 foot platform on AA's car top is 2 feet longer than my entire darkroom.

Curt
23-Dec-2010, 20:34
The two part video is really great to watch and was fast paced. I wonder if Ansel made any recordings of his piano playing, it was wonderful to see and hear him play. It was definitely another take on the man.

msk2193
23-Dec-2010, 20:45
Thanks for posting the link. GREAT clips.

Mike Anderson
23-Dec-2010, 21:06
Looks like he had a Calumet 4x5 (like me). So I guess I can't blame things on my cheap camera anymore.

...Mike

Merg Ross
23-Dec-2010, 22:15
I wonder if Ansel made any recordings of his piano playing, it was wonderful to see and hear him play. It was definitely another take on the man.

Probably not for public release. I did hear him play, and it was wonderful. But that is another story.

The piano scene was from his home in San Francisco, where Minor White and some of the CSFA students stayed early on.

jeroldharter
23-Dec-2010, 22:38
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable. I was surprised how much I liked the music. Old school.

I wonder what gear he would use today? I suspect that film would be part of it. But maybe Ansel would hear music in a jpeg? Just goofing around. I know that has been covered a million times. But watching that video is very evocative and nostalgic. Hard to imagine Ansel in a Sony digicam commercial.

Curt
23-Dec-2010, 23:45
This film was shot in 1957 and he was a lot less afflicted with arthritis than the later films where he was reluctant to play the piano for the audience. I could sit for hours and listen to his music as he played. There is no doubt that he was a concert pianist.

Gary L. Quay
24-Dec-2010, 02:46
I'm feeling better about my methods. I shade my lenses the same way. I have too much gear. I have a Kodak Commercial Studio camera exactly like the 8x10 that he had, which I also use in the field occasionally. I handle my negatives with my bare hands, and I flip prints in the trays as opposed to rocking them. If only I could get my negatives to look as good.

--Gary

Steve M Hostetter
24-Dec-2010, 05:18
Yeah, but what about that telescopic spot meter thingy..?

CP Goerz
24-Dec-2010, 11:59
I wish to point out the great INJUSTICE and DEFLAMATORY RAMBLINGS in regard to the lenses Ansel used....it CLEARLY shows a 9 1/2" CP Goerz Apochromatic Artar NOT an (Ha Ha Ha!) Apo-Tessar!!!! I DEMAND an APOLOGY on behalf of all of the incredible and wonderful CP Goerz lenses now sullied. :-)

David Lindquist
24-Dec-2010, 15:48
Thank you for posting this. I think this is part of what I saw on PBS in the early 1960's as part of a series called "Photography, The Incisive Art". Can anyone out there help confirm this?
David

Curt
24-Dec-2010, 17:20
What's the deal with the lens confusion I never hear this, I have a 9 1/2 and a 10 3/4" apo artar, a couple of 16 1/2, 19 and some other artar lenses, no big deal there.

After the golden gate before the bridge was built photograph he traded in a Turner Reich lens for a Cooke triple convertible. The image of the golden gate is stunning and made with a tr. There are a lot of lenses and a lot of lens cult people out there too.

Sirius Glass
24-Dec-2010, 17:50
Thank you.

David Lindquist
25-Dec-2010, 14:36
I wish to point out the great INJUSTICE and DEFLAMATORY RAMBLINGS in regard to the lenses Ansel used....it CLEARLY shows a 9 1/2" CP Goerz Apochromatic Artar NOT an (Ha Ha Ha!) Apo-Tessar!!!! I DEMAND an APOLOGY on behalf of all of the incredible and wonderful CP Goerz lenses now sullied. :-)

In his book _Fiat Lux_, done for the University of California on occasion of that institution's centennial in 1968, Ansel Adams lists among the lenses he used on the project, a "9 1/4" Goerz Artar", safe to say that was a misprint and should have been 9 1/2". This does repeat the error made in the film, albeit without the additional egregious error of calling the lens an Apo Tessar.

Noticed the film included original music by Don Worth, another great large format photographer with a background in serious music.
David

Robert Brummitt
25-Dec-2010, 15:44
Thank you for sharing the link. I met a fellow who has an original 16mm copy of the film. I told him he should copy it on dvd and sell it. He said he didn't want the Ansel Adams Foundation to hunt him down and hang him up side down.
:-)

Sirius Glass
25-Dec-2010, 15:48
Would it be ok if he was hung right side up?

Sometimes these details are important. :o

Steve

msk2193
25-Dec-2010, 21:59
Just realize this clip was "taken" from the costly Ansel Adams i-Pad app

Brian Ellis
26-Dec-2010, 12:07
Thanks, quite a group assembled to make that film - Beaumont Newhall, Nancy Newhall, and Don Worth. I assume this is the Don Worth who was another of the great musician/photographers though he isn't all that well known.

William McEwen
27-Dec-2010, 14:02
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable. I was surprised how much I liked the music. Old school.

I wonder what gear he would use today? I suspect that film would be part of it. But maybe Ansel would hear music in a jpeg? Just goofing around. I know that has been covered a million times. But watching that video is very evocative and nostalgic. Hard to imagine Ansel in a Sony digicam commercial.

Jerold, in the Playboy interview, Ansel talks about how exciting "electronic" photography will be, and that initially it will just be for printing, then eventually, electronic cameras will be available.