PDA

View Full Version : Sending film for processing

Jim Billlups
2-Jan-1999, 22:40
After exposing transparency film (not readyload or quickload), What's the best w ay to get the now exposed film to the lab? Are there special light tight envelop es etc. that I would put the film in after I remove it from the holders so I can mail it off?

Ellis Vener
3-Jan-1999, 02:23
Put it back in the original 3-in-1 boxes it came in and tape up securely along a ll edges. If you c=want to be really careful put it back in the foil envelope to o. Probably a good idea to use the bubblewrap padded envelopes as a shipping env elope.

Jim Billlups
3-Jan-1999, 22:52
Ellis, Thanks for the answer. One other question. How do you recomend I store my film once it has been exposed? Do I place it in glassine envelopes and store in a light tight box until I am ready to send for processing? How do LF users store/protect their exposed film in the field so that it doesn't get scratched and damaged?

Ellis Vener
4-Jan-1999, 03:12
Since you have ruled out QuickLoads (why?) i would recommend carrying enough hol ders to get you through a day's shooting, bringina changing tent and unloading a t night just into the 3-in-1 box they came in. The box is small enought that you shouldn't have trouble with the films scratching one another unless you get som e grit in there with them and shake the box really hard. I can give you lots of reasons why I like QuickLoads and don't think they are uneconomical, but it is a subject that has been extensively covered in other threads.

Rob Rothman
5-Jan-1999, 03:20
If you have a local lab that you can bring the film to (instead of mailing it), the easiest approach is just to leave the film in the holders and drop off the holders. The lab will unload the film for you and return your holders with the processed film. That way, you don't have to worry about a light-tight container or about keeping dust off your film in transit. I suppose its possible that labs might also do this for mail-in processing orders (if you can live without your holders for the turn-around time), but I'm not sure.

Bobbe Singer
6-Jan-1999, 09:27
Using the box the film came is the best place to put back in. The next best place I found is film boxes from Light Impressions, they are light tight black sturdy boxes made in the different film sizes. The web site is http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com or 1-800-828-6216. They are know for their archival products.

Happy Shooting, Bobbe ;^]